Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving a Felder 540 Bandsaw in a VW Passat wagon

Moving a Felder 540 Bandsaw in a VW Passat wagon

Hello All:
    I have committed to buy a Felder 540 bandsaw and now am trying to figure out the best way to get it from its current location to mine (6 hr drive each way).
    I have a 2003 VW Passat wagon. Based on the dimensions the seller has provided (I'd love to see a nice dimensioned drawing) I am pretty sure it will fit in my car. Barely. I will take out the back seats and push the passenger front seat all the way forward. The upper cabinet should fit between the drivers seat and the door. I planned to put some laminate plywood down to help it slide in. Also planned to bring some strong beams to to help slide it into the back. Probably need to pull off the starter switch so it doesn't get squashed. Edit: I also intend to remove the table.
    The seller is telling me that my approach will be very difficult because of the weight of the saw. I've moved a Powermatic 141 bandsaw in my wagon but it only weighs 300lbs. The Felder is listed at 240kg or 528lbs. Yes, that's heavy but I'm thinking that surely 2 guys can handle it one end at a time. Am I nuts? Is it just too awkward?
    Please share your thoughts and experiences on moving a medium sized bandsaw.
    Thanks in advance,
    Jim

I have moved many things in my cars (including a 650lb cabinet saw) but I think this is one thing I'd not attempt to do.
    Do you have a hitch? if yes, I'd rent a trailer and haul it that way. I think the saw will be difficult to push in all the way and you don't know what's going to stick out in the way and prevent you from fitting it there.

Take some tools and a camera with you. My solution in the past with heavy equipment such as a Delta DJ-20 and a Unisaw with a 50" fence and table has been to take good pictures and then a partial disassemble. Heavy items like the motor and cast tops are easy to remove and reassemble. With the band saw just the motor top and two doors will remove quiet a bit of weight.

If you are going to lay the bandsaw down, it is best to do it on its spine. I have a 2004 Felder 540, and there is a lot of weight at the base. The previous owner told me he moved it by tipping it onto a bed of a pickup. I got a lift gate truck and moved it upright.

I would remove the motor, table and both wheels, that makes the pieces of a weight that a couple of people could slide into a station wagon..........Rod.

I like this approach! Two cast iron wheels, table, fence, and motor should add up to a huge weight savings.
    I've never removed a direct drive bandsaw motor. Anything I need to know about it? Anyone know where I could find an exploded drawing of a Felder/ACM 540?
    I should probably take every conceivable tool.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Rent a truck with a lift gate (Penske has these). Transporting a 20" saw 6 hrs is going to beat up the engine, suspension, interior and drive train of a station wagon. A 14" saw would be do-able but 20" is just way too risky even after disassembling it.

Jim,

I have a pdf of the Felder 540 manual from 2003 - (actually covers models 400-840). There is a fuzzy exploded diagram in it. PM me your email address and I can send it to you. About 1.3mb.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C Martin View Post
    I like this approach! Two cast iron wheels, table, fence, and motor should add up to a huge weight savings.
    I've never removed a direct drive bandsaw motor. Anything I need to know about it? Anyone know where I could find an exploded drawing of a Felder/ACM 540?
    I should probably take every conceivable tool.
    Thanks,
    Jim
    Are you sure it's a direct drive moter? I would expect a belt drive on it.............Rod.

Blog Entries
    When I moved an LT18 over the same distance in a Dodge Caravan I first put together a sheet of 3/4 plywood with 2x4's on the edges. I then added casters to the bottom. We strapped it to the back of the saw, laid it down on the back bumper and then lifted the bottom until the front casters were on the back deck. We then rolled it forward, it would be really hard to do any lifting inside the car. It worked but it was close and the caravan is pretty big. I don't know how it compares with a passat. It sure seems to me they might be a tad smaller. The passat does have enough hp to pull a small rental trailer, I'd be tempted to go that way. (And yes I used more than straps, I had plywood and 2x4 angle brackets I screwed next to the saw to keep it from rolling side to side). Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C Martin View Post
    ......6 hr drive each way.....
    hope you're getting it for a really great price. a 12 hr RT and not being certain it'll fit in the transport vehicle wouldn't leave me feeling warm and fuzzy.

Belt drive machine so likely the lower wheel needs to come off unless there is a big enough hole in the back for the pulley to exit. Wheels, table, and motor should take 300 or so of the 500 lbs off the machine so whether or not it fits is really the issue if you are willing to dismantle. Cargo van or long bed pickup would work. 540 is quite a bit heavier than the LT18 and bulkier. Dave

I would just rent a little U-Haul box truck. It isn't worth the aggravation of trying to get it into a station wagon.

It's $20 to rent a Uhaul 5x8 trailer. It's really the way to go if you have a tow hitch.

Quote Originally Posted by zayd alle View Post
    It's $20 to rent a Uhaul 5x8 trailer. It's really the way to go if you have a tow hitch.

Yup. Why damage your car?