Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carbide blade for Bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Rick, you should just buy a Woodmaster CT instead. 90% the blade for like 2/3rds the price.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA
    HI Eric,

I looked at the CT Woodmaster and it is available with 1.3 tpi or with 2 tpi. Which one have you used?

Thanks,
    Charlie

By the way, I love my MM16!

Suffolk machinery's carbide blade works exceptionally well , don't know their name for it now, but look them up.
    Peter

Charlie.. My last blade was 3 tpi.. Before that, 2-3 Tpi.. I am going to order a blade 1.3 tpi - 1.6 tpi... I don't mind if its a bit rougher but want it to cut easier...

Woodmaster CT works real well and it's cheap, however it does leave a sort of a rough finish unless you actually resaw with it (I find it makes a smoother cut through thick stocks than thin stock, thick means more than 4" thick). I don't know if that's out it is or it just needs higher tension because I've heard people had tablesaw cut quality with carbide blades... but I guess they're talking about resaw kings and trimasters.

Woodmaster CT seems designed primarily as a sawmill blade so I guess they aren't designed to leave a smooth cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    Charlie.. My last blade was 3 tpi.. Before that, 2-3 Tpi.. I am going to order a blade 1.3 tpi - 1.6 tpi... I don't mind if its a bit rougher but want it to cut easier...
    Thanks Rick, that is what I suspected.

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    Assuming you have a 1 inch wide, 2/3 variable pitch Trimaster, Suffolk Machinery (of Timberwolf bandsaw blades fame) will sharpen your band. I had a 143" Trimaster from my MM16 sharpened, I believe it cost all in $90 between me shipping the band to them and the cost of sharping and return shipping. The blade cuts pretty good, maybe not as aggressively as a new Trimaster, but pretty good, I am happy with the results.

FWIW, I understand Suffolk Machinery's own carbide tipped bandsaw blade was modeled after the 1" variable pitch 2/3 Trimaster, so their sharping machinery can accommodate the those blades...

Hi Robert, I also have an MM16. (That saw will cut through anything!) If my current blade hasn't started to crack before it needs sharpening then I will give Suffolk a try. $90 vs buying a new blade is definitely worth it.

Thanks for the info,
    Charlie

The CT 1.3 was developed for wide board resawing. It excels as the board gets wider and the speed gets faster. I run a 3 tpi Trimaster on my 217 that resaws up to 14" but the CT on the big saw with the 20" resaw. As you go thinner you want more teeth, wider you want fewer. Speed makes a difference too. My Olivers run at 6750 fpm whereas most newer saws are closer to 4000. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by James White View Post
    Larry,

Where did you get the blade for that price? I think I would give one a shot at that price.

James
    It was $137.03 to my door. I bought it from Cyber Woodworking Depot LLC. Took me a while to find the bill.