Thread: Corner cabinet finally finished

Corner cabinet finally finished

Just hung this up this evening finally; already dark though, so I struggled with the lighting for the pictures. Design was taken from a FWW article a couple months back. This peice is framed in cherry, but the door panels are birds-eye maple in order to go with the two other maple peices I finished for the room this winter. Pictures of the sister peices can be found at the link below. This was my first attempt at a corner unit; and it may be my last! Clamping for assembly was quite challenging, but live and learn, right?!

Thanks for looking, and as always thanks for the inspiration and encouragement.

...Jim in Idaho

http://myweb.cableone.net/jimnbeck/sofatable.htm

JIm,

That's nothing short of TERRIFIC! love it!!!

Beautiful job. I really like the choices of wood for this. I have always wanted to work with birdseye like that but so far have not. This is truly inspiring.

Great job and nice inside also. Love the curly maple.
    Jerry

Nice piece and excellent work. I think it looks great!

Corey

Very Nice.

Oh my! That is stunning!

OK, here is my standard question...how did you finish it? I like the satin glow...not too shiny, just right. Please provide exact details, as I am still struggling with finding my perfect finish for both cherry and birdseye.

I love the interplay of the woods, and is that maple that you used for the back?

Which FWW issue?

Sorry so many questions, but I think you just added another project to my already long list.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Jim,

This is a great looking peice! It sure does fit well with the other fine furniture that you have made. Wonderful job on it.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Great job, Jim! I remember that article and I liked the project from the start. Your version is terrific. Nice use of material, too...the maple is beautiful in contrast to the cherry. Bit of curl there!! Just a little...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice work Jim. Looks good in the corner.
    Dennis

Beautiful choice and use of woods. Nice finishing. I like the soft glow. Nice work!!
    Jerry

Very Very Nice Indeed!

Thanks for all the kind words guys....

Martin,

The FWW issue was no 175 - February of 2005. PM me if you need a copy and I'll scan it to PDF and send it to you. The nice thing about the general design is that the "look" can be modified quite a bit by the style of panels and the trim components you choose to incorporate.

The finish process was General Finishes Seal-O-Cell CLEAR (no coloration, but pops the grain well) followed by several (3) coats of Cabot water-based poly (semi-gloss) applied with a foam brush prior to assembly. The water based poly raises the grain on the first coat, which needs to be sanded down with 320/400 grit paper. Vacumning the peices prior to continuing, the subsiquent coats lay down/flows nice and flat with no need for sanding inbetween applications as it sets up much faster (20-30 minutes) than the oil-based poly when layed down in thin coats.

Thanks again for all the nice feedback everyone.

...Jim in Idaho