Thread: How to mount sidemount slides for a tall narrow spice pullout?

How to mount sidemount slides for a tall narrow spice pullout?

Hi folks, I've just been a lurker on this forum so far, and have gained a lot from the expertise of the forum denizens just from reading past threads. However, now I have a question that I couldn't find a good answer for, so I'm wondering if you guys might have some advice for me.

I have a very narrow (approx 5 1/2") empty space between a 12" deep existing upper cabinet and the recently reconfigured adjacent wall in our kitchen, so I'm thinking that I'll put a spice rack pullout in there. The way I was figuring was that I'd mount 3/4" birch ply to the wall to form one side of the cabinet then build the pullout as a sideways mounted drawer with dividers (i.e. a solid piece of 1/2" ply as the drawer side that is towards the wall, with a solid top, bottom, front and back, and then an open side with narrow shelves towards the existing cabinet. The drawer width would only be about 4 1/2", so that rules out the undermount blum slides that I've used throughout the rest of the kitchen. Therefore, I'm going with KV sidemount slides. It would be cleanest and easiest if instead of mounting them on either side of the drawer, I could mount them both on one side, between the 3/4" ply cabinet side and the 1/2" drawer side. I've never seen this done before so I'm wondering if there is a pitfall to mounting two slides on the same side of a drawer. I'd appreciate any input on this.

I haven't done exactly that, but I have mounted full extension accuride slides to the top and bottom of a 32" tall pull out panel in a cabinet. Both slides were mounted on the same side, one at the top and one at the bottom. I installed custom mounting pieces to the other side to hold frequently used tools and jigs. Several of these panel assemblies were mounted side by side in a cabinet and they pulled out easily for access to the tools. Be careful in your choice of slides since they may not all work well in this type of application.

Charley

Something like this? I only used one pair of slides mounted like you see in the picture.
    09-2-2011 001.JPG10-16-10 007.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    Something like this? I only used one pair of slides mounted like you see in the picture.
    09-2-2011 001.JPG10-16-10 007.jpg
    Exactly like that! I thought that would be the best way, though since I hadn't seen such a setup, I was wondering if there could be some kind of problem with it that I hadn't envisioned. Looks like my fears were unfounded. Thanks.

Dave,

On my wife's wall-mounted spice rack, I used a pair of slides at the bottom, although your idea should work. However, you may notice them (the top slide especially) experience some torsional force as a result of both slides being on the same side. Further, I wasn't happy with the side-to-side play of the KV slides so I added one to the top of the cabinet mounted horizontally to stabilize it side to side.

Sounds like I should go with Alan's method, but make sure that I build the top with the right clearance to fit an additional slide in there if needed. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Diamond View Post
    Sounds like I should go with Alan's method, but make sure that I build the top with the right clearance to fit an additional slide in there if needed. Thanks guys.
    You can use the extra slide if you want to but it's not needed considering the width of yours is just a hair wider than half the width of my pull out. It's been in use like this for two herewith no sign of sagging.

My take on it in a 6" wide frameless box. I made the pullout with only two shelves, so as to accommodate all the olive oils they use. Forget the brand (Knape and Vogt?) but the slides are soft-closing, and work well. By going over and under I could utilize the full width of the cavity in the carcase.

It is to the R of the slide-in range opening in this little island.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Cool idea Mike. I like the hidden hardware.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler