Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shapton 1000 vs Sigma 1200

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Tierney View Post
    Then again, we also get some rather 'nice' dressing by the case to go with it. Dunno what's in it, but danged if it isn't just made entirely of awesome.
    How about including some of that with my next stone order, huh?

I won't tell anybody...

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Tierney View Post
    When putting a lot of moderately hard steel (Marples Blue Chip, etc.)on the stone, say 2+ postage stamps worth, it can suffer from chronic clogging/clotting. Not your garden variety spots, you end up with a massive black smear that will NOT clear without completely removing it mechanically. Any trace left behind seems to allow a new clot to grow very quickly. Using excessive water reduces but doesn't eliminate the chance of the clot occurring. Ironically, one of these with a lot of water on it is one of the messiest stones I know of, as the crud gets flung in all directions. Harder steel doesn't tend to have the same effect.
    FWIW, I do have a set of pre-Irwin Marples Blue Chip chisels that say they were made in Sheffield. I haven't noticed the issue that you're describing when sharpening them using my Shapton Pro 1000. Not that I doubt what you're saying, but I really haven't had an issue with this at all.
    giant Cypress — Japanese tool blog, and more