Thread: Question about Make Beer mugs or coffee mug

Question about Make Beer mugs or coffee mug

Need some input

Whats the best way to make A beer mug or coffee mug?

And what the best way to Mug Attach the Handel ?

Do you make any that you can use if so where do you get the insurite, and how much are they?

Thanks

The coffee cup can be made with a stainless steel liner from Rockler or many other places.

I made this grog cup for my son to carry around Renaissance Faire. It is sized to accept a drink can. The handle is attached by rope, tied and twisted. Just an idea. Both are finished with wipe-on poly to make them water resistant.

I include the following instructions with the grog mugs:

How to use a grog mug.

First make some grog.
    The best way to make grog is to get a barrel of fresh water and store it in the hold of a ship for 2-3 months. Open, and let it fill with bugs, drowned rats, and algae (diseases optional). Mix 4 parts stagnant water with 1 part cheap rum to kill the algae and diseases. Filter the rats and bugs out with your t-shirt. Fill cup, and a wedge of lime, and drink. After a few days of heaving over the side of the boat, you’ll get used to it.
    Drink it or die of thirst.

How to keep your grog mug from leaking faster than you can drink it.

Next time you are constipated, go to the laxative section of your local drug store. In the laxative section of medicines and remedies and you can get a quart of mineral oil for a sawbuck and have change. (Or Rockler Woodworking will sell you 4 ounces for $5.99 plus $7.99 shipping.)

Drink the laxative according to directions. At the same time, pour some mineral oil into your grog mug. Leave it for as long as it takes for the mineral oil to do its work. Empty it out (the grog cup). If you drink grog you may have to use this remedy often and your grog cup will stay sealed. If drinking grog gives you the opposite problem, forget about the mug and run. But you knew that before you read this.

How to keep your grog mug clean

Never use your grog mug as a spittoon.
    Never use your mate’s grog mug as a spittoon.
    Rinse it out and wash it with soap.
    Don’t leave it soaking in water and don’t stick it in a dishwasher.
    If it looks like the wood is dry soak it in mineral oil until it looks right.

What to not to do

Don’t use it for hot coffee or tea or stew, for cryin’ out loud. It’s made of wood and probably will explode on you. Besides, the mineral oil will leach into the hot coffee or tea and we already know what that does to you when you get all lubed up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Love the mug yeah--a little fancy maybe but will get rustic if you don't wash it. Love to sail and our favorite nite sailing wine resembles your grog. Many medicinal effects for sure. A real sailor might use a better rope.

Heh, well done Brian!

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    A real sailor might use a better rope.
    Or at least tie fancier knots, sailors can be pretty proud of their fancy knots

If I remember right, the wooden mugs were coated on the inside with tar to keep from leaking. Don't think that would work too well with hot coffee, but might be all right with cold beer, if you drink it fast enough.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

Mmmmm.... Tar flavored beer... pungent boquet, and petroleum aftertaste... I bet there's a market for that...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Good friend on another forum makes staved beer mugs. He uses copper pins to attach the handles.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I've wanted to do the same thing. I've seen drinking vessels for sale online that are finished with some sort of resin but I haven't found any resin product labeled for that use. I'm sure once fully cured, any epoxy resin would hold a cold beverage without leaching to many chemicals into your beer, but I'm not ready to be a test subject. I'm even less tempted to try it with hot coffee.
    I tried out a walnut coffee mug with no finish just for kicks. Worst cup of coffee I ever tasted! It was like sucking on a mouthful of tongue depressors.
    If you figure it out, please let us know. I really want a solid wood mug.

On my son's first mug I glued the staves and the bottom with Titebond II. I added a little superglue anywhere I could even imagine a space. Then I used wipe-on Poly, including letting a couple of coats pool on the bottom to make a protective barrier, and let it cure for 6 weeks. It dripped. Perfect for Renaissance Faire or picnics but not indoors where you value your rug.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

If it's a straight sided mug you could cut a dovetail slot in it, carve the handle out of something and put it on with a sliding dovetail.
    Stuff I've made:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/unstoppabledrew/sets/72157603258837444/

Jim,

Try doing a search for brewers pitch that was a traditional way of lining wooden items that were to hold liquids. Bees wax would also work but not for hot liquids.

I have never ordered from this company but they have lots of very interesting videos and came across this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtJuHU9nLtU
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

FYI If this helps---naval tars were refined? from Longleaf pine saps along with turpentine and other products. Extremely critical for the British and all navies until steel ships came in. Even then some. Rigging was soaked as well as hull/deck seams to prevent rot as well as waterproofing.