Thread: Mesquite Dowels

Mesquite Dowels

Does anyone have a source for mesquite dowels? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Don L Johnson View Post
    Does anyone have a source for mesquite dowels? Thanks.
    How long do you need them? Could you make them with a tenon cutter?

You might check with Mesquite Burl dot com. Good guys, but you have probably figured out it ain't cheap

Depending on the use and how long you need them, you can also look at making your own with a dowel plate.

The other day on a different forum there was a guy looking for mesquite dowels. I gave him some photos showing how I make dowels using my router. I can make them any diameter for which I have a drill bit and any length. I thought he was going to make some that way. Maybe you should connect with him and see if he'll make some for you. Or, if you find a commercial source for dowels in mesquite you should contact him. Maybe you can get a deal if you buy together.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    how I make dowels using my router. I can make them any diameter for which I have a drill bit and any length.
    With a drill bit?
    I use a round - over bit half the diameter of the dowel size I want. 1" dowel - 1/2" bit. Cut the stock to the size you need the dowel to be.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

What would you do if you wanted a dowel with a 7/16" diameter. Do you have a 7/16 in. radius round over bit?

As I said, I can make dowels with my router at any diameter for which I have a drill bit. Here's one I did as a sample for someone. That's fresh off the router. No sanding or anything.

Last edited by Dave Richards; 06-06-2013 at 2:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    The other day on a different forum there was a guy looking for mesquite dowels. I gave him some photos showing how I make dowels using my router. I can make them any diameter for which I have a drill bit and any length. I thought he was going to make some that way. Maybe you should connect with him and see if he'll make some for you. Or, if you find a commercial source for dowels in mesquite you should contact him. Maybe you can get a deal if you buy together.
    I looked at a jig using a straight bit up through a block with two drilled holes that are concentric with the in feed hole the size of the stock and the out feed hole the size of the dowel you want. One question: It appears that the sawdust has to come out the in feed hole. Would it work better if you drill a larger hole above the router bit and connect a shop vac to take away the saw dust?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

When I do it most of the dust and chips are pulled up by the spiral upcut bit i use. If I connect the dust collector it gets most of the chips and dust with no problem.

I make them just like Dave Richards does...
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214