Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help With Band Saw Dilemma

Need Help With Band Saw Dilemma

I have a pretty good old Craftsman 12" band saw. I hardly ever would need to do re-sawing, but I would like the ability to do it when needed. I've been debating on:

1. Keep the old 12" with a good 1/4" blade and buy a new 14" BS, and put a 1/2" Timberwolf blade in it, or

2. Sell the old 12", make more room in my 2-car garage shop, and just get the 14" BS, or

3. Don't even buy a 14", but put a nice Timberwolf (or other top-notch) blade on the 12" (3/8"?).

Some of you who've had this same dilemma I hope will comment.

Oh, I only do basic woodworking stuff. Might make a cabinet of some sort now and then, a bookcase, certainly not a fast production shop.

I'm always grateful for good advice, so thanks.

Carl

Wow, I have no idea how to respond. Like you I'm a small hobbiest shop. I bought a new 14" Grizz with the riser, but I didn't already have a bandsaw. On the other hand, space in my shop/garage is not in abundance. I do use Timberwolf blades and they are definitely top notch! I keep several sizes on hand and swap them out as I need to.

Just a thought... Have you considered upgrading you current saw? You could slap in some Carter Guides and one of their Quick Release levers, or at least swap out your adjustment knob with their Ratchet Rod. It would make your old Craftsman a nicer machine, and it would for sure make blade changes a whole heckofalot faster.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

14" bandsaw, and a 1/2" Lenox Diemaster blade.

I would go 18 inch if I can simply because a 14 and a 18 takes up the same floorspace... but the 18 offers more choice when it comes to blade type, and therefore more useful for resawing.

You can try resawing with your 12 but it's going to be very slow. And any blade thicker than .020" is going to break before it goes dull because of the small wheel.

#2.
    I had one of those 12" C-man saws. Was glad to lose it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

My recommendation is to keep the saw you have and buy another one for resawing if you have the space and funds. I have a steel frame type 14" bandsaw that was designed to resaw up to 10" (IIRC). It is so time consuming to dismount, remount and adjust blades that I seldom use it for anything but resawing. I usually just use my jigsaw instead. I plan on buying another saw so I can have one each for resawing and cutting curves and fine detail.

Not one to tell you what to do but I have some thoughts. I understand the itch to get a newer, fancier tool. I get those and occasionally scratch that itch for no defensible reason.

Q: is your current machine powerful enough to do what you want? Primary motivator lack of power? or size? Or "just because"?
    If you plan on doing serious resawing the jump from 12" to 14" doesn't strike me as much. Why not go to 18" with more power?

My disclaimer: I have a jet 18" and use it often as a hobbyist for everything from little things to furniture to cabinets. I have resawn some really nasty dense woods so the power is OK but have never come close to needing the 18" capability.

As to blades, everyone has a favorite. I used Timberwolf for years and the current favorite is a plain Jane 3/8" 3tpi Olson from Woodcraft as an all around blade. Experiment to find the blade that suits your needs and machine.

Look at Craigslist. There are often some decent deals on a semi-virgin used saw.

I have a Jet 14" and for me have not needed anything larger, I am just a hobbyist and don't need to resaw large boards.

I would say dump the 12" for the space and just get the 14", it handles 1/8" blades just fine for small close work.

There are a lot of debates on the blades, I use the Timberwolf and really like them, they have worked very well for me.

I'd just say get a large bandsaw for resawing and a scroll saw for curves.... unless you need to cut curves in 3" of hardwood (which is actually possible sometimes!) a scroll saw will handle most of anything, has enough throat (typically 15") and does curves much better than any bandsaw and you can cut inside (not possible with a bandsaw).

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I would sell the 12” and put the money towards a 17” or larger machine.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I do notice a 18" bandsaw doesn't handle 1/4" blade that well... hard to know what tension is right vs. breaking the blade... I heard the margin can be quite narrow for small blades on a large saw.

I have a 19" bandsaw that handles 1/4" blades just fine. But going north of 14" will only be an option if the OP has access to 220v.

If you are relatively happy with the 12" and have access to 220v, then I would wait to upgrade to a 17 or 19". Even if you never need 12" height, the extra power and mass of the larger saws shine when milling larger or greener things.

Keep the 12" and get a good 14". In a couple of years, dedicate the 12" to delicate work, the 14" to general work, and add a 17" or larger. That's what I'd do, anyway. Get a GOOD 14" if you're going to do that, though.

I have a late model 12" Craftsman with 7" resaw ability. Many 14" cast iron saws have 6" or less. Keep that in mind, unless you use a riser block.

John

Twer me, if I had a 12" saw I would not consider a 14" if I wanted another one, I'd jump to at least a 17" with at least a 2HP motor. I own a 14" Delta with a riser block and 1.5 HP motor and it meets my needs, but barely because you can't really tension the blade very high. I know the newer steel frame saws allow you to go to higher tension, but if you're going to spend money why not get a saw that gives you adequate power and the ability to use wide blades if you want to.

John

Unless I needed the money in order to put toward the larger bs, or needed the floor space, Id keep the 12" and leave it setup for smaller jobs. Then leave your new 14" set up for resaw. You can get a new Rikon 14" for $800-ish and sometimes a bit less. You could go to a 16" or 18" bs too, if your shop is wired for 220V. Some of those machines will cut a car in half. ; )

I dont know what other equipment you already own. But if you dont already own a drill press, planer and maybe a jointer, you might consider buying one of those first to supplement your current capabilities.

Have fun shopping. Let us know what you decide to buy.
    Fred