Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something really different for me

What a great piece. Love the theme and the wood is spectacular. It all makes for one awesome turning. Thanks for sharing and keep them coming. Love it.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Very nice looking bowl! The feathers really compliment it & set it off.
    Billy

I like everything about it, the wood, the form, the stitching and feathers, and the photography is fantastic!

Great presentation Brian! It sure looks good as shown! Too bad about all the checking but you seem to have found the silver lining!

You knocked it out of the park, good job.

Spectacular Brian, beautiful wood and the leather is a great touch!
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Beautiful bowl Brian!
    Gorgeous wood and your stitches and feathers really adds a nice touch!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone. I didn't mention that the reason for the 3/8 thickness was because I chickened out on going any thinner. This is the first item I have turned with a major crack when I started turning, and also the largest diameter, making for an extra threat of coming apart. I turned the outside and finished it. Then I covered the crack with a narrow piece of tape (I didn't want glue in the crack) and glued a few biscuit joint biscuits across the crack with hot glue. After the glue cooled, I mummified the biscuits with more hot glue to ensure that they were not going anywhere. It held the whole thing together well; maybe a bit too well. It was a real chore to get the hot glue off after it was done. The reason for the finish on the outside was to make it easier to get the glue off. It helped, but next time i'll go a bit lighter on the hot glue. Bowl by me, plate hanger by Chinese factory via Michael's.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Very nice my friend! You did that piece of wood justice!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Bob, this is interesting... I do like it. From the wood, to the lacing, to the feather.

I've been toying with the lacing thing (rather than filling the crack with epoxy) thing lately, too. The challenge I have is that what I turn lately is going with me to shows for sale. What I've noticed so far with showing is that people like stuff they can use. The lacing instantly makes it "art". At least from the standpoint of washability. Leather won't hold up all that great after it gets rinsed.

Again, I love the idea, and your execution is great. Nice job!
    I drink, therefore I am.

I'm impressed! It all works together and looks very nice! Well turned!
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Looks like for a first time you really hit the mark well. Next time the tree guy drops some stuff in the driveway try to pick out the best pieces and throw them in the freezer. They keep for ever that way or at least till you can figure out what you want to do with them...
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!