Thread: Bench mounting an open stand jointer?

Bench mounting an open stand jointer?

Hi all,

I have an older craftsman 6" open stand jointer, which doesn't see much use at the moment as it's tucked under one of my benches and it's a bit of a PITA to pull it out. The open stand, with flared legs, just takes up too much space to keep it out all the time.

Ideally, I'd like to ditch the open stand and mount the jointer to the top of my mobile cabinet (actually an old file cabinet that I repurposed as a workbench base). But, I'm wondering about the shavings, as it makes an awful lot of them! Has anyone done this, and is it ok to put the jointer on a solid surface? How much clearance is needed underneath for the shavings to be cleared? Or has anyone come up with a clever solution to get around this?

Thanks in advance,

Lee

Just wondering. Where does the motor go??

Rick Potter

It'll be mounted on the side of the cabinet, and the pulley on the jointer side will be hanging over the back edge of the cabinet.

Lee

I've done a couple jointers in a similar way.
    With my 1938 Wallace, I used a wide board for the table on top of the cast stand. Cut a hole in the table and mounted a 4" DC connector under the machine. A flex duct reaches to the base. I plug a 4" hose into that.
    On a 4" Delta, i cut a 2 1/4" hole in a board, and mounted that under the stand top.
    Both work great.
    If you're unwilling to cut a hole in the bench top, build a small box under the jointer, and connect the DC to that.

0822011959a.jpg 0901011129a.jpg
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Great, thanks Myk! Looks like I'll be breaking out the sawzall