Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ARGH!!! I hate edgebanding!!!

markus shaffer Guest

ARGH!!! I hate edgebanding!!!

I usually avoid edgebanding altogether. I hate it. I hate hot irons sitting around. I hate edgebanding. Did I mention I hate this stuff? Unfortunately, current job dictates that I have to use it. Customer wants this stuff two months ago. I didn't get the job until 2 weeks ago.. She'll take edgebanding if it means getting her stuff faster than waiting for me to build and finish face frames..

Anyway, so I keep getting this problem with the stuff tearing out (see photo).. I am using the Virutex double sided trimmer (second photo). I've changed the blades, adjusted them and cursed at them.. Cursed the whole trimmer as well.. I even kicked my saw once just to make sure everything around knows I'm getting mad.

Does anyone else know of a better trimmer than this one? Did I mention that I hate edgebanding?

-Markus
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, small trim router with a flush cut bit.

Then sand paper the edges the rest of the way and a slight bevel.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Markus,

I have only worked with edge banding once, but I had the same problem. What I ended up doing was to wait overnight for the glue to fully dry (Does it ever). Then I trimmed it very carefully. I still ended up re-doing one peice 3 times, but at least I got it done.

I agree with you! I HATE edge banding!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Marcus,

The trick is to go with the grain and don't try to get it all in one pass....don't squeeze the trimmer all the way....make 3 or 4 smaller passes. You can remove the bad one with a heat gun
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

markus shaffer Guest
    With the grain. Small passes.. I will work on that.. I like the router idea, but both the plywood and banding are prefinished.. Don't want to mar the finish on those if i can avoid it. Whole point was to get this mess done quick and easy. In the time it's taken me to replace all the pieces that needed replacing, I probably could have cut down a tree, milled the lumber myself, dried it, cut it to dimension and then made face frames and done it right.. I hate this stuff..

Thanks for the quick replies..

-Markus

Markus, I have applied hundreds of feet of the stuff, both wood and melamine. I use the same trimmer you have. I do not install the four angled blades that are supposed to "bevel back" the trim. I use 150 grit sandpaper to sand it flush. I never position the sanding block completely perpendicular; I leave it at a small angle so as to NOT scuff the adjacent surfaces. I have had some wood edge banding, oak in particular, split into the banding. It's aggravating but I simply re-apply heat remove the bad band and install a new one. Another thing I do is go back after I am finished and look for edges that are not adhered well. Again, I just re-apply heat to press them down.

Good luck.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

I think you're better off with a utility knife rather than the trimmer. I keep a sharp blade, hold the edge down with my left thumb and pull the knife along with my right hand. Watching the grain direction is important.

Also Fastcap makes a pressure sensitive edgebanding that costs more than the hotmelt, but eliminates the iron and related problems with the hot glue sliding around. It's still a pain, but you can't burn yourself.

Bob Lang

I HATE it too. I have never been happy with any job that I have done, so I hope to learn from this thread.

If you don't have an automatic machine tuned well, then the only answer for real wood edgebanding is a file, especially if you are a perfectionist, but it is an art that needs to be practiced, cut with the edge of the file, not the face. Hand trimmers, any knife, pinch trimmers, you name it, they all tear wood (even with the grain - and there are times when you have to go against it), but work well with PVC, and flush bits for a router tend to gouge and will often mark pre-finished stock unless you grease it (that's always fun to clean). Sanding will work if it is not pre-finished, but keep an old carpet remnant around and hit it frequently or the glue will just bugger up. Also, if you are good with a file, and go that route, keep a file brush handy and hit it after each edge to keep the glue at a distance.
    No matter what, edgebanding is tedious at best, and if you are not ready for even an entry level hot air machine, there just is no quick and painless solution. Often scoffed at, edgebanding, when done well can expand your creativity as a woodworker, though. And if you are doing any kind of production work, is indespensible.
    Last edited by Sam Blasco; 05-19-2005 at 5:31 PM.

Blog Entries
    ive done edge banding in every possible way machine or manual. a good razor knife still works best on wood veneer tape as Bob Lang mentioned. just gotta go with the grain .....jack

I've had good luck trimming close with a chisel, then using sandpaper to get the last fraction of an inch.
    Dennis

Hot melt edge banding tape is horrid stuff. The only good application is for starting the woodstove.

The worst thing is when you bump a banded item with your rump and the edge catches your jeans. Next thing you have this strip of veneer blowing in the breeze. Not Good!

I have some similar concerns and I am looking into getting a set of shaper cutters for the burgess edge system. This system looks like a more reasonable way of doing edge banding and eliminates many of the issues of the past.

Have not tried it out yet as I am still chasing it down. Started looking this morning. If anyone has experience here, please pipe up. Whatcha think.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Blasco
    If you don't have an automatic machine tuned well, then the only answer for real wood edgebanding is a file, especially if you are a perfectionist, but it is an art that needs to be practiced, cut with the edge of the file, not the face. Hand trimmers, any knife, pinch trimmers, you name it, they all tear wood (even with the grain - and there are times when you have to go against it), .
    Dino/Ditto to that.
    And keep your file clean with a small wire brush.(brass)
    And when you get use to,the file, is one step and faster than the knife/sandpaper combination.
    File all the way. And it gives you a much better job by forming/pushing the
    edge banding to the panel.
    The trick here is to hold the panel flat and against two pieces of scrap.(at the right height)
    And do one side at the time. That helps too.
    YCF Dino

Markus,
    I recently posted a question related to this topic--about the Burgess router bits vs edge banding, and there were several suggestions that you might find helpful. Check out: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19781
    Good luck with the project.
    Rob

Another vote for the file method here. Never tried it on pre-finished banding, though.