Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another serious injury at the lathe

Question about triple protection

I cannot wear goggles with my 3M Half-Mask 7500 series respirator. They do not fit each other. I definitely need sawdust/lung protection so I have been using the half-mask respirator and the 3M polycarbonate face shield (ANSI standard Z87.1-2003) with no goggles.
    Has anyone found a solution that allows wearing both the respirator and goggles (under the face shield)?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Hope he gets well soon!!!
    i had a piece come apart just a few weeks ago, luckily my versa flow helmet took the brunt of the impact and I walked away without injury (apart from my pride for not spotting the flaw!!!)

Ray...there are such standards of which ANSI Z87.1 2003 is one. There are other standards also...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Here is some info I just found, Ray:
    http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/ansiz8712003.html
    thanks BRIAN ,the high velocity test are the best test, if a shield can survive a 1/4 " ball impact then we may be safe but this raise a question, if you are turning a plate or bowl at 400 rpm and a quarter of the plate fly off and strike your shield, what will this piece speed be per/second ?

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    thanks BRIAN ,the high velocity test are the best test, if a shield can survive a 1/4 " ball impact then we may be safe but this raise a question, if you are turning a plate or bowl at 400 rpm and a quarter of the plate fly off and strike your shield, what will this piece speed be per/second ?
    The speed will be r*theta where r is the distance from the axis to the mass centroid and theta is rad/s.

Quote Originally Posted by Montgomery Scott View Post
    The speed will be r*theta where r is the distance from the axis to the mass centroid and theta is rad/s.
    That's what I thought too
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

smart aleck, will someone add the numbers to this formula

Blog Entries
    Here, I'll blow you rmind. Imagine a 12" plate breaks apart and a slice comes flying off while running at 1k rpm. The slice runs from the rim to the very center. The rim is spinning at r*theta, but the center is essentially stationary. What's the speed of the chunk? :P

That should keep you busy for a few seconds...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I think we should all stop turning. This just sounds way to dangerous!

Look, I've had a 12+" blank of cedar break in half and hit me in the chest. Sure, it was enough to make me change my shorts (I was fairly new to turning at the time and got a catch). But it wouldn't be enough to have shattered my face shield.

People, YES turning has its dangers. YES, you have to be careful. But be reasonable and stop thinking about kinetic energy and the speed of the rim at X rpm. Just be safe, turn within your ability, take your time, and be smart. Can things still happen? Of course. Just minimize them.

Is a seat belt or an airbag going to make a head on collision "safe"? No. "Might" they save you? Yes. That doesn't mean we need to question the seat belts and air bags and "are they good enough?". Just put your seat belt on, have air bags in your car, drive safely, and hope all goes well...that's all you can do.

Now go back to turning and enjoy it!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post

Is a seat belt or an airbag going to make a head on collision "safe"? No. "Might" they save you? Yes. That doesn't mean we need to question the seat belts and air bags and "are they good enough?". Just put your seat belt on, have air bags in your car, drive safely, and hope all goes well...that's all you can do.

Now go back to turning and enjoy it!
    Seat belts and air bags have been intensively tested both by the auto makers and independently by the insurance companies. My Airshield has not been tested PERIOD. It is neither impact nor air quality certified.

Better than nothing? certainly.
    As good as it could be? no where near.
    Affordable compared to the alternatives? yes, and there is the rub. It affordable, at least in part, because it is not manufactured such that it is certifiable, and because Trend apparently is not willing to spend the money to try certifying it, knowing that it would not pass. They saw a market and filled it.
    Should I upgrade to something better? absolutely
    Will I? not likely, at least in the near future. Oh I plan on buying a better face shield (I currently own two in addition to the Trend) as the ones I have fog badly. I wear the Trend while sanding, though I recently got better dust extraction working, so I'm less likely to wear it now since it is hard to see through. If I had to suit up in a HazMat suit, I'd give up the hobby...
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

When I am turning a questionable piece or making a cut that is higher risk, I switch from my Trend face shield to my ice hockey goalie mask. It isn't the most comfortable for turning but it minimizes the risk when doing these operations.

If you stand at the end of the lathe while turning a plate at recommended RPM , will the missile seek you out like a heat-seeking missile or fly off to the side true to its rotation

All depends on karma, Ray, all depends on karma...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Well, that, and the extent of one's heat signature!
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

I never met this woman karma, there is a weapon use by the cowboys in the south [Brazil ] which consist of three strings join together at one end and a stone tie on the other end, a skill user can catch a cow with this weapon because of the flying pattern , when a section of wood fly off of a turning a high -speed camera can be aim to show it path pretty accurate, if the whole plate separate from the lathe then the direction will be any where in the 360 degrees circle [ East, West , North, South, Up, Down ] but a section of the plate will fly with the rotation of the spindle when the plate breaks up