Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What kind of vehicle is your lathe really?

Not sure what my Nova 1624 is but it is a stick shift. Maybe someday I can go to the DVR with an automatic.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

2. Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stafford View Post
    Most of the Grizzly lathes I have seen are more akin to a Yugo or a Corvair .....

My Stubby is like a Ford F650. I haven't named it yet but I may name it George as in "I'll hug you and squeeze you and pet you and call you George."

Attachment 263930
    Mike..........I have no idea if you have turned on a Grizzly 18/47 lathe..........and to an owner of a Stubby, which is a premium lathe, it may well indeed seem like a Yugo........

My G0698 basically has the identical features of the PM 3520b, except not as heavy a machine, does not come with a handwheel, and has 18" swing, no cage. It is bigger than an almost identically featured Jet 1642evs, only with 2" more swing and 5" more between centers..........then they improved it with the G0733 with the same delta inverter and put a 2hp motor on it which is A/C where the G0698 is a D/C motor.

I look forward to my dream lathe one day.........a Robust American Beauty, fully tricked out..............until then........I will use the 18/47 Grizz........which I think is a great value and a fine performer. I have turned on 5 different 3520b machines........they are sweet indeed......my 18/47 Grizzly performs on a par with them, in my opinion. It has 2 hp, reverse, variable speed and a few other features........certainly not a Yugo or a Corvair!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bradshaw View Post
    I would have to classify my Oneway 1224 as a Mercedes SLK280, My Oneway 2436 as a NASCAR stocker and my Robust Liberty as the belle of the ball.
    Joe, if I had your money I would burn mine. Have a good week at JCCFS and drive safely!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mills View Post
    Not sure what my Nova 1624 is but it is a stick shift. Maybe someday I can go to the DVR with an automatic.
    Good one! By the same analogy, my Oneway 1224 must be a small 4 wheel drive subaru with an automatic transmission and a 2 speed transfer case. I have always driven stick shift cars, but I want all my lathes to be automatics.

Steve

Well, not being a auto buff, mine were shiny and new looking some years back. Now, more like old comfortable cloths that will last forever. Beauty, Liberty, and Jet mini.....

robo hippy

I would say my Grizzly GO698 is like a mid-nineties Kia Sportage. Not made in Japan, but in an Asian country which has become a manufacturing mecca. Over engineered. Finish only fair. Decent warranty, but a good chance you'll need it and you may have to wait for parts. Most of the bells and whistles, including the automatic transmission and the two speed transfer case. Not always the best in quality of materials or quality control, but only half the price. Four wheel drive for people who can really only afford two wheel drive.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

I guess my little Rikon mini would be ... a Mini Cooper with a stick... even has 6 speeds like a Mini...

One of these days, I'll be able to sit at the adults table...
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Well let's see my Vega 2600 would be an Izuzi 2020 that's a 20 ton dump it might not be pretty but it can handle the big stuff.
    My General 160-18 would be an automatic F150 just an all round good lathe. My 5 Mini's well let's see Jet 10-14 x2 old VW Bugs, Delta Midi also VW Bug, Carba Tech I'd say VW Carmengia a little smaller then a regular VW Bug, 1949 hobby lathe that I have running on a sewing machine motor and has I think a 3" swing very small lathe must be a Cushman. Also I own an old Delta 700 reeves drive that I use to lend to guys that need it, it's old beat up dirty and a little loud I'd call it say old mid-size Ford or Chevy with 160000 miles and only added oil when needed but never changed.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

As of 20 minutes ago mine is whatever car just stopped running while driving down the freeway.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

My 1952 Oliver.........
    1952 Chevy.jpg

My 1917 Oliver 20 lathe would probably best equate to one of the early military jeeps. That lathe is built like a tank, and can handle some pretty strenuous tasks with ease. Neither are too bad on the eyes either (in my opinion).

IMG_4091_zps7b8fba52.jpgIMG_4530.JPG

My 60 year old Craftsman is like a Ford F100: old, common, serviceable, but not worth much.

Something about that made me laugh out loud. Maybe it is the mere mention of a K car and comparing anything to it.

My first thought was my Jet 1642 is a lot like the Ford Ranger extended cab I had. Reliable, everything I needed, versatile, affordable. But I would really have preferred a big diesel crew cab. Or maybe a Ferrari.

My Oliver 20-D

=

Do or do not, there is no try.

My Grizzly G0462, with a Nova 1624 banjo, is definitely one of those 70s VW Beetles. You can swap parts in and out and soup it up however you want, it's still fugly. Highly functional though. My PSI Turncrafter Commander is a Suzuki SX4. It has all the features you want, but they don't quite work the way you want them to and you're embarrassed to drive it.

Rich