Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table Saw accessories

Table Saw accessories

I am finally upgrading my table Saw. I'm going from cheap craftsman, the a Powermatic 64B. I have two questions I haven't been able to get satisfactory answers to.

1) What is the best mobile base for this saw? Strangely, Powermatic doesn't seem to make one, and the third party bases that say they fit all seem to get iffy reviews.

2) I'm trying to understand about 0 clearance and dado inserts. Any advice or recommendations?

thank in advance.

Can't suggest a base, mine came with saw
    As far as inserts, I just grabbed a magazine today at the local Krogers and they had an article on making your own inserts. Do a search online and make your own to go with your different blades. As far as understanding them, what is your questions? They are pretty simple and cheap to make.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby milam View Post
    Can't suggest a base, mine came with saw
    As far as inserts, I just grabbed a magazine today at the local Krogers and they had an article on making your own inserts. Do a search online and make your own to go with your different blades. As far as understanding them, what is your questions? They are pretty simple and cheap to make.
    Well that's what it seems like to me, but according to some of what I've seen on the interwebz, apparently it's more like nuclear physics, and going with the wrong insert will initiate the end of days.

I just want to make sure I don't accidentally cause the end of the world.

Seriously that's helpful. I'll just keep the inserts simple which is my preference.

To be honest I haven't even gotten around to doing a zero clearance just because I can't find the time and I don't use the saw all that much. Its on the 2do list but wayyyy down there at the moment.

Now the mobile stand, best money spent. I have moved my table around the shop as much as I have used it. Almost skipped buying it with the saw. Odd that they aren't offering one. Maybe powermatic owners are more decisive on shop layouts than grizzly owners

Use the stock insert as a template to make your own. As long as it's stiff and flat, it should be fine. I like phenolic, but birch ply, and even hardwood work well. I'd avoid thin UHMW, HDPE, acrylic, etc., due to flexing too much.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Use the stock insert as a template to make your own
    I cheated a bit and bought a ZCI blank from Woodcraft & used it as the template.
    My stock insert is metal and the Woodcraft one is some kind of composite material. I just felt more comfortable w/the composite being so close to a router bit.

I suggest making a bunch at one time. Once you get set up to make one, it's just as easy to make a dozen.
    Here's the batch I just made a few weeks ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I made a plywood template from the stock insert. Use the template to pattern route several inserts. I only use one or two, but they get worn out on the front of the blade and have to be replaced (no longer "zero clearance"). The first ones I did were out of 1/2" MDF and they did OK, but the last ones were out of scrap cherry and they have held up much better. If buying materials for new ones, I would look at 1/2" MDF and install laminate on both sides or coat the MDF with shellac, then wax it. The hardwood inserts must have a little movement as the fit tends to vary in the opening.

Mike

There are a lot of good mobile bases out there, you could use the kits and make one but I think you would want a metal one, just do a search on the net for mobile bases and I am sure you can fine one that will meet your needs.

On the ZCI they are easy to make and if done right will last a long long time. I know there are people that make them out of plywood, MDF and just about anything else they can find, but for me there is only one thing to use, phenolic.

I have 3 different ones, normal kerf, thin kerf and one for the dado that is set for plywood. The phenolic ones last for ever or close to it, I have one for my normal kerf blade that I have used now for about 4 years so far and it still works great.

I use 1/2 phenolic, with turners tape I attach my original insert to the phenolic and then just cut close to it with the band saw. Then I use a pattern bit on the router table and finish it up. With phenolic you can tape it really easy for set screws or to add clips to hold it in the saw.

110613432.t8dBbczO.P1167630.jpg110613430.7L16jz4v.P1167628.jpg110613429.4m31Cn3Q.P1167627.jpg

I have HTC mobile base on my Delta contractor's saw. I've had it for 20 years and it's still easy to move the table saw around. And I do that a lot. The only issue I have it the cord sometimes gets snagged on the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Keathley View Post
    I am finally upgrading my table Saw. I'm going from cheap craftsman, the a Powermatic 64B. I have two questions I haven't been able to get satisfactory answers to.

1) What is the best mobile base for this saw? Strangely, Powermatic doesn't seem to make one, and the third party bases that say they fit all seem to get iffy reviews.

2) I'm trying to understand about 0 clearance and dado inserts. Any advice or recommendations?

thank in advance.
    B3 002.jpgHammer Photo 006.jpg

Hi Steve, my favourite kind of mobile base, is no base at all.

If you look at the photograph on the left of my saw, it has a pair of wheels at the back, on a simple axle that goes through two drilled holes in the base.

The second photograph is a photo of the tow bar I made, it's used for all the machines in the shop.

This semi live skid design resuts in great mobility, and the machine doesn't move once it's in place because it is sitting on the two front feet.

If you want more photographs or description, please let me know.......Regards, Rod.

I have the mid priced Grizzly (Shop Fox) adjustable base under my PM66. It has 2 fixed wheels and 2 swivel wheels. There are 2 screw down leveling feet to keep the saw from moving while being used. I'm quite happy with it.

John

The best mobile base for a open stand contractor saw like the Powermatic 64B is a Ridgid Herc-u-lift. Unfortunately they done make them anymore. You might be able to find one on CL or E-Bay. Other than then I think all factory mobile bases suck so I make my own. The Herc-u-lift was the only one I was happy with. As fare as ZCIs I bought a Phenolic kit from Rockler. You can make 2 ZCIs from I it.

+1 on making your own inserts.

I was using the dado the other day and didn't want to chew up the inset I bought a few years ago. I grabbed some leftover 1/2 BB ply, traced it out then cut it. I used a sander to get it rounded out, drilled out a small hole into the inset, going into the end and stuck in a small finishing nail so the blade wouldn't pop it out of place. I used some small 3/4" screws for leveling it out. Only took about 15 minutes to make and I made several of them. Now I have one for dado blades and a couple of spares sitting ready to use when needed.

I have the Shop Fox under my 0444Z TS. Works very well, and can be leveled too.
    Made my own zero inserts.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I don't have a bandsaw ... yet. It's on the short list. I'll look into some of the mobile base ideas.

One other question. I get the saw tomorrow BTW. I remember seeing a link to a good video to aligning a Powermatic table saw a few months back on this site. I thought I had saved the link, but can't find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?