Thread: removing caulk residue

removing caulk residue

I applied some caulk where it was not supposed to go. I have removed most of it but there is still some residue left on the surface I need to get rid of it so I can paint. I have used mineral spirits and DNA but it is still there. What product could I use. Open to suggestions

Depends on the type of caulk. Acetone cleans up silicone caulk (not paintable) well.

Yes Acetone is the answer.....wear rubber gloves when using it.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I did some rebuild of exterior architectural wood columns at the front of our house a while back. I used an open tube of clear silicone caulk that was in the shed to seal around the painted wood and brick joints. Well the caulk had gone bad so much so that it would never harden. The caulk stayed soft and got dirty from everything that touched it. It became a mess. I took the 8 or more different cans of solvent in my home shop and starting testing what would remove the caulk. That's how I found out Acetone works best. Just trial and error. Of course in a past life, meaning 17 years ago after getting a chemistry degree and working as an organic chemist, you'd think I would know better, but most all that info in my head came and went. Being a photographer for 15 years cleared my head of anything I learned back then.

Heat gun, not lingering too long, works on most.

thanks guys used the acetone worked great