Thread: I didn't think I'd be the guy to start another sharpening thread, but....

I didn't think I'd be the guy to start another sharpening thread, but....

Is there a difference in performance between the DMT Diasharp stones and the Atoma stones?

The atoma is flatter and works better for stones, but neither is any better (and maybe not as good) for honing than an ezelap. The diamonds are pretty sparse on an atoma, and the diasharps cost more than the ezlap (the atomas cost twice as much as an ezlap). I've never been very excited about how DMTs feel after they have some wear, they are less durable than some chinese polycrystalline plates that I got (no need to look for those, though, they're not flat and they cost more than an ezelap).

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Lindberry View Post
    Is there a difference in performance between the DMT Diasharp stones and the Atoma stones?
    DMT has always had flatness and durability issues. Atoma is consistently flat. Eze-Lap is long-lasting, flat and cheap, so David W. pretty much nails it down. I far prefer the honing characteristics, feel, quality and scratch pattern of Atoma and Eze-Lap over DMT, finding Eze-Lap best for honing.

I think the Atoma is definitely better than DMT in the coarse grits. The #140 is popular with knife sharpeners & food prep users. This photographic blog article examines diamond distribution between the two brands.

DMT vs. Atoma Diamond Plates For the Edge Pro – A Microscopic Comparison
    Last edited by David Barnett; 06-11-2013 at 9:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I've never been very excited about how DMTs feel after they have some wear...
    I feel the exact same way about my duosharp. I also feel like there is a "lump" on mine. You can't see it, but you can feel it. Mine might have been a lemon, but it has coloured my perceptions of their products.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Brewster View Post
    I feel the exact same way about my duosharp. I also feel like there is a "lump" on mine. You can't see it, but you can feel it. Mine might have been a lemon, but it has coloured my perceptions of their products.
    Interesting because the DuoSharps are supposed to be much flatter than the DiaSharps.

I think they even guarantee that?
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Every DuoSharp I've seen has been dead flat. The Diasharps? Every one I've seen is not very good. I like the Duosharps but I don't recommend the Diasharps to anyone for anything. They should drop the product o fix it, IMHO.