Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My verision of Norm Abram's Deluxe Router Station

My verision of Norm Abram's Deluxe Router Station

Pardon these pictures. They were taken with my cell phone. We leave later this week on a trip and my wife has already packed her two digital cameras and the video camera.

Here's my version of Norm's Deluxe Router Station. It was made out of scrap red oak plywood and white oak left over from previous projects. I varied from Norm's version slightly. I reversed the position of the 3 bottom drawers. The big one on the left instead of the right and the two smaller ones on the right.

I also used T-track instead of routing T-slots. The table top is made of doubled, screwed and glued MDF for a final thickness of 1 1/2". I laminated the table top and the working faces of the fence with formica.

Installed is a Woodpeckers PRL-V2 and a PC 7518, 3 1/4hp router.

It's not my best work but it's certainly will be much better than what I have been using.

r1.jpgr2.jpgr3.jpgr4.jpgr5.jpg
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Very nice Ken. I made mine about 5 years ago but cheated a little. I purchased a ready made table with fence. If you have not had a router table before this you are going to notice a big difference when doing your routing.

Looks pretty good to me, kinda clean though.

Good job Ken....That's on my to do list. I like all the little drawers to store the router bits.

Very nice Ken, I've always liked the design of Norms router table. Yours looks great!
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Sweet setup Ken. I have always wanted one of those but never had enough room for one.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Very nice Ken. Mine is a few years old now. You will really like the fence features, easy to readjust on the fly. Used mine this past week-end to cut half rounds in the ends of some shelving for adjustable shelf standards. I truly enjoy using it every time I hit the switch. Greg

Blog Entries
    One major problem...... It is in your shop and not mine.

Great looking router table.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Looks like a nice piece of shop furniture...
    Nice job Ken.

That is one really nice router table. I need to replace mine and build one like it.

One issue is that the dust collection comes out the back and prevents you from pushing it back up against a wall. I suppose one could re-route the dust collection to the side. Has anyone done that?

Larry,

Thanks for the compliments!

I don't know of anyone who has done that but doing so might cause one to have to eliminate or resize one of the banks of drawers on each side. It suppose it could be done.

After thinking about it Larry. The way that slanted wall is built, one could slant it from the side I suppose. Then using PVC pipe direct it out the side . You would still have to restrict the depth of the bottom drawer on one side to provide access to a side panel but there is plenty of room for bit storage, so you really wouldn't miss much by either shortening the drawer's depth or just eliminating the bottom drawer. It could be done!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-11-2013 at 9:29 PM.
    Ken

Thanks everybody for you compliments.

I am going to be traveling for a few days but hope to use it on it's maiden voyage when I return. I have a project planned that requires some routing.
    Ken

Nice job Ken, I like your version of this very useful tool. I also built one several years ago and it has been invaluable to me.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Looks great, Ken! I'll bet it provides years of great service!

Wonderful job!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...