I am after a name stamp for my furniture and tools, and need a recommendation. Or advice.

As I discovered in my research, there are two types of stamps. The "Makers Stamp" creates the name in relief, while the "Owners Stamp" recesses the name. So about a month ago I received a Makers Stamp from a well-known stamp maker. This had letters 1/8" high (I wanted something small that would not dominate), just my name.

As much as I tried, I could not get it to make an impression in either end grain or face grain. I gave the stamp as solid a wack as I could with a small hammer (actually a gennou). Any harder and I feared doing the wood damage. As you know, our local woods are hard.

I know the stamp works as it came with an example in what looked like white oak end grain.

So I contacted the (US) company asking for the secret. they replied ..

Yes, the end grain is the only way to get
an impression that does not crush the wood.
Your piece needs to be on a very dense solid surface
such as a cement floor, or anvil or other.
And you will need a heavy hammer like a 3lb sledge.
Depending on the size of the stamp.
Face grain can actually be done by branding.
The stamp can be heated about to a blue color, and
then held on the wood. It actually can look quite
nice making a black background with light lettering.
Work with some practice impressions in endgrain until
it works for you.

A 3 lb sledge hammer! Are they nuts! And if I wanted a branding iron, I would have sought one out at the outset. I was not pleased.

Anyone have the same experience and have a solution, or are my expectations simplistic? I think I may have to settle for an owners stamp as this has less surface area to imprint.

Regards from Perth

Derek