Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jessems new tool

<I wonder whether you could generate adequate downward pressure without lifting the fence off of the table. That is one common criticism I've read about the Board Buddies, which attempt to do the same thing.>

Been on my saw with Bies fence for longer than I can remember, never experienced this criticism you mention .

Blog Entries
    I got my paypal receipt on June 25th. It's July 2nd and no shipping notification.
    Hmmmm.....

I don't mind waiting but an email saying, "Sorry, we are back ordered and your stuff will ship in September." would be the right thing to do. I am a very patient man but I do like to know that I haven't been forgotten.

Order #6702

Roger, you should have gotten an order confirmation (I did anyways). Took 10 days to get shipping email. Is taking another week to travel from buffalo to los angeles. Looking forward to getting it.

Got mine a couple days ago. It's worth the wait. Beautiful machining, it's so purty, I want to get a chain and wear it.

Rick Potter

I placed my order on 6/21. It shipped today. I think they may be selling a few of these.
    Regards,
    Dick

got mine used them well worth the money these will be getting a lot of use

Just got mine. Works great on the vsctools tablesaw fence and incra router fence. Keeps wood tight against the fence and wont allow it to come backwards. It was really nice when grabbing a push stick because the wood didnt budge. I also attached pictures of board buddies which I dont really care for because they are big and awkward. Maybe I'll use those for plywood. I also attached a picture of a magswitch I can attach to my fence to keep it from moving if cutting large heavy stock.photo (2).jpgphoto.jpgphoto (3).JPGphoto (4).JPGphoto (1).jpg

~mark
    Last edited by Mark Carlson; 07-09-2013 at 12:29 AM.

Mine arrived today. As everyone else has said, they are lovely. I made an attachment for my tablesaw fence so I can use them there too. They do a good job of keeping the stock against the fence. I use my tablesaw more than the router table, and I can see myself using them quite a lot.

Noel

Well, I am a bit late getting back to the party, but I finally got a chance to try them out, and see which tools I have that they fit.

My router table with a Rockler/Jessem t slot fence fits them fine. I ran a piece of MDF 1 1/2 wide by a foot long through my 1/4" T&G slotting bit. I made no attempt to hold the work against the fence, and just shoved it through with a push stick laying sideways on the table. In other words I pushed it through, but not against the fence, standing out of the way. It went through with no drama at all. I even let it go when it was cutting and only held by the lead guide, let it go again when it was cutting and held by both sides, and again when the rear guide and bit were engaged. Again, no drama at all, and I had the guides down snugly but not tight.

Since I had good luck with the MDF, I got out a scrap of hard maple, 1 1/4" wide by 3/4", about 18" long and did the same test. Same results. A couple very small burn marks where I stopped, but no drama here either. Again, I was not pushing the stock against the fence at all, just pushed it through from the end.

Next, I tried other tools I have to see if the guides would work. On my RT1000 router table, the guides work just fine, but because of the t slot cut in the MDF fence, you need to switch out the 1/4" bolts for 1/4" t-bolts. No biggie. Then I tried it on my brand new bench top Kreg router table I found on clearance at Lowes...fits perfectly. Moving on, I tried it on a knock down table I put on sawhorses when I need it away from home. It has Rockler all MDF fence boards on it with t-slots in the MDF. Again it fit fine, using the t-bolts, which I prefer anyway. Next up was my shaper with the home made router style fence on it. Fit fine again using t-bolts.

Then I moved on to my Unisaw. There is no provision for t-slots, although I do have a sacrificial MDF fence for dadoing. It has no t-slot, but one could be added easily. I also have a Peachtree t-slot fence that fits on the Unifence carrier. The guides fit that just fine. One caveat: The Unifence will not hold anything down very well, as it is only held on one end. This can be easily resolved by using a switchable magnet from HF, and attaching it the the other end. See Mark Carlson's post above for a great example of how to do this.

Rick Potter
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 07-12-2013 at 12:17 AM.

I'm thinking of getting a pair but only if I can use them on the TS too. I have seen all positive replies here but last night on another forum someone reviewed them that liked them, but, said for his router table especially for long boards he still felt the need for a horizontal feather board. If he adjusted it enough to keep the piece always toward the fence it was too hard to push the part through. What he really liked is that the board never has a chance to rise like flexible feather boards would allow.

Mike

Mike, I have mine set up to use them on my tablesaw. I made a simple track to attach to my fence that holds the guides. So far, I have not felt the need to use a feather board as well as the guides. I can get plenty of downward pressure on the board without making it too hard to push through. YMMV of course, since that's a matter of opinion. I will try to post a picture of what I did later in the day. There are pictures above in this thread of the guides on the VSCT extruded aluminum fence.

Noel

Mike,

That sounds to me like he was using a warped board, that needed jointing. It really doesn't take that much to keep a straight board against a fence.

Rick Potter

This is the review that I read:

Linkie

Had a good job to try these on so I ordered them. Ordered on Monday & they got here today. I'm working on making some door casing for our entrance door. My wife wanted a arched top with a raised panel in it. The top of the door casing needed a stick cut in it. The board was almost 8' long and I pushed it through without making any effort to keep it against the fence and the Jessem guides kept the stock against the fence at all times. WAY better to use than my four featherboards. The curved top needed a cope cut in the two ends. Tried to think of a way to do this and thought the Jessem video showed a cope cut with their guides without any sled - so I made a couple sample pieces and seemed like it would work.

The guides fit into the top of the Woodpeck SuperFence nicely, but, it only has a little margin holding 3/4" stock. I could remove the black sacrificial fence and use a lower slot on the actual aluminum fence if needed for thinner stock.

Mike

Mike your killing me. I had completely forgotten about these and am now sitting here and can't come up with a single reason why I shouldn't order these.