Thread: 10 oldest trees in the world

10 oldest trees in the world

I thought many of our wood turners might like to see this............since we are most appreciative of special wood.............

enjoy!

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com...-earth?image=1
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Cool site! I've hiked to the Jardine Juniper several times.

very cool website. What will really blow your mind are clonal trees, where the individual tree may be relatively young, but acres and acres of a single species of tree are all branches of a single, massive root system. Those organisms can effectively live indefinitely.

Texas has a champion tree registry for the largest of each species of tree in the state. I try and make it by some trees whenever I am driving around the state.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Great website--thanks---old forester

5. The Senator

The Bald Cypress known as the 'Senator', from Florida in the USA, is estimated to be 3,400-3,500 years old, the 5th oldest tree in the world! A 2006 survey by the Native Tree Society measured the volume at well over 5,100 cubic feet, making it the largest of its kind in the US, as well as the largest tree of any species east of the Mississippi River.

unfortunately, this tree is no longer living. It was vandalized a couple of years ago (someone set fire to it). I found out way too late, but the Historical Society from Sanford had sent most of the wood to artists to create lasting memories from the tree for use in theirs and other museums. A fellow wood turner (whom I got started in the vortex) managed to get several small branches to make pens.

Quote Originally Posted by alex grams View Post
    very cool website. What will really blow your mind are clonal trees, where the individual tree may be relatively young, but acres and acres of a single species of tree are all branches of a single, massive root system. Those organisms can effectively live indefinitely.

Texas has a champion tree registry for the largest of each species of tree in the state. I try and make it by some trees whenever I am driving around the state.
    Here's a story about "Pando", depending on the source, the largest living thing on earth.
    http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ay.html?pg=all

Did anyone notice that the tops of almost all these trees have been blown off in storms. I've seen many of the record big trees by species in the US and most had missing tops. Wonder how big they might be?

Gives perspective, living things being that old.