Thread: Anyone actually used the Laguna Revo 20-36 or its big brother? Comparison to 3520B?

Anyone actually used the Laguna Revo 20-36 or its big brother? Comparison to 3520B?

I am going to be purchasing my 'lifetime lathe' in the very near future, and am down to two lathes, the PM 3520B and the Laguna Revo 20-36 w/ the 12" swing-away extension. In this configuration, and with some special pricing I am getting on both machines, the cost difference between these two is negligible. From a spec's perspective, they are very comparable, although the Powermatic has a 5 year warranty versus the 1 year on the Laguna. My problem is that I can't find a single independent review of the Laguna Revo anywhere, from someone who's used the tool. Do we have any turners out there with actual experience using this machine or where this machine has been independently reviewed? Any and all advice on this once-in-a-lifetime purchase is welcome. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Scott Haddix; 06-13-2013 at 8:14 AM. Reason: typo correction
    Scott Haddix

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" - Author Unknown

Scott,

I don't want to sound like a smart alack but not being able to find a review on the Laguna lathe may be an answer in itself.

I have the 3520B and I know almost nothing about the Laguna. I'm pretty sure there is a reason it has only a one year warranty. I would consider an extra four years warranty worth something.
    Fred

4. The Laguna Revo is new on the market in the last few months.........that is why there is not much info from users to be found. The customer service issues experienced by some in the past with some older models was noted on some forums. I have not personally seen the new REVO lineup, but did look at them on their website.

I would personally want to know some facts from a technical aspect and not just hear a sales pitch to make me where I wanted to go that way over the Powermatic. Be aware of this.......there are probably two maybe three actual manufacturing entities that make lathes in the PRCC or Tiawan, but the quality control in a ISO 9001 or later certified facility will make a difference.......as will the demands of the seller, like Powermatic.....they have tight QC controls and are very responsive with customer support.

I have a Grizzly 18/47 lathe.........it has served me well and been a stellar performer for 3-1/2 years........so the REVO may serve you well, as I think some Laguna and Grizzly and Busy Bee [Canada] and others [Baliegh 18/47, etc] are all made by the Burt Group from what I can determine.

All that being said.....if I had the funds and was getting ready for my "lifetime lathe" it would likely be the Robust American Beauty, but that may not be in the cards for you.

I don't think you can go wrong with the 3520b, although there are some reported problems with them from time to time......Powermatic is quick to respond when it happens...............good luck with your decision!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I don't see much in the Laguna from reviewing the specs that would elevate it above the PM. An inch longer and weights a little more. It does not appear to have a hand wheel which I find handy. I don't like the low ranges RPM: 50-820 (Low). I prefer the 50 - 1500 ranges PM has when I am turning a bowl. Lots of torque and would not have to stop and change the belt setting to go to 900-1200 which I frequently do on a bowl. Like Roger says, I would put emphasis on warranty and customer service. Sooner or later you are going go back to customer service for help. From what I have seen on various forums, Laguna has had complaints on CS for their lathes. There are lots of satisfied PM owners out there, including me. I considered an 18" Laguna lathe when I bought my PM. I might have saved a nickel in the short term with the Laguna but I have no regrets with my 3530b choice. If you buy the PM, you will never say to yourself, "I wish I bought the Laguna." If you buy the Laguna, who knows?
    God is great and life is good!

First - I'm biased - i have a 3520B. I bought it about 8 months ago after a lot of research. I looked at Laguna but don't remember the model - I have a Laguna Bandsaw I've been happy with but have not had to use customer service so I can't speak to that.

I would offer this advice - If the costs are the same, why would you go with an unknown vs. an industry standard that has been proven for years. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. In answer to one question, the key difference between these two machines for the same price point was the fact the Revo had the swing-away 12" extension, which is a nice feature. That said, I have decided the PM 3520B is the right choice, and hope to be getting it delivered soon.
    Scott Haddix

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" - Author Unknown

Well the Laguna weighs 80lbs more than the PM....I find that interesting.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

I ordered a Laguna Revo 24" and was promised a shipping date. The promised shipping date came and went so I finally cancelled my order. I asked the sales person to email me if they ever got any Revo 24-36 lathes in stock but he never contacted me. This was a couple of months ago. There are no reviews on that lathe on-line so maybe none have ever been sold??? Craft Supplies has the 3520b on sale during the Tampa Symposium this week. 15% off. Allegedly they can ship next week.

Good morning, David, and welcome. Please keep in touch and show us multitudes of photos!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

If you get the Laguna, you will be the Beta tester. Don't do it.

Yep, this is where I'd ordered from to get this pricing. Thanks for passing it along nevertheless.
    Scott Haddix