Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need to finish pine the old school way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Salomon View Post
    I don't think either the Amish or our ancestors stood back and threw handfuls of stuff at their precious furniture to distress them. I thought you wanted "old school"?
    It's made out of recycled pine that already has damage (screw and nail holes, big divots from the old hardware...) so I'm going to accentuate it a bit.

The tea stain was mentioned earlier so I think I'll give it a look see... Thx guys
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Get yourself a copy of Fine Woodworking #193. Article on pine finishing that makes the wood look like a million bucks.

Well worth the read.

Seriously.
    Anyone care to provide the title of the article?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cady View Post
    Anyone care to provide the title of the article?
    "Best Finish for Pine"

By. Thomas E. Wisshack
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

How permanent is a tea-based stain? My experiments with it years ago found it began to fade pretty quickly, but I may have been expecting too much or not doing it properly.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

All I've got to say is, this is a great thread.

Blog Entries
    How permanent is a tea-based stain?
    Not sure, but I have some stains from the bottom of my coffee cup that have been around for years.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Anyone have a PDF of the article to post?

Quote Originally Posted by william sympson View Post
    Anyone have a PDF of the article to post?
    Just sign up for the free 14 day trial a FWW online membership (assuming you haven't already before, and thus still can) and if you don't actually want the membership cancel before the trial ends (jeez, I sound like and infomercial)
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 06-20-2013 at 8:11 AM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Hi Brian. Wanted to show you this. I'm putting some finish on my lap desk today (been on vacation and head back to work tomorrow so want to get this DONE today).

I had some Thai/Siam Seedlac mixed up so I decided to go ahead and use it on this project. The Thai/Siam is a little more reddish/amberish than the "brown" seedlac I mentioned earlier but they impart a similar color to the wood.

In this photo you can see the tone of the finished parts against the unfinished interior. The finished part has a coat of BLO with 2 coats of seedlac on top of it. I'll probably add a top coat of something harder at least on the lid, but for something that won't see the type of abuse that a lap desk will, I would just build up a couple more thin coats of seedlac, maybe wax it, and call it done.

Anyway its not a great pic, not the nicest wood ever (standard home store pine), and the finish isn't complete, but hopefully it at least gives you an idea of the tones you can get from shellacs and seedlacs. The coat of BLO also adds to the tone as well...its a bit lighter if you don't first put the oil down.

IMG_20130625_123333_562.jpg
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 06-25-2013 at 12:51 PM.

Again, nice looking work, Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    Again, nice looking work, Chris.
    Thanks Chris. I've got a couple things I'm gonna to try to wrap up today, install some hardware, rub out some finish etc...