Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May I please see your Miter Saw Stations

May I please see your Miter Saw Stations

Hey all,

I currently have a detached shop. But, because of a recent move to a new home, and the pending demolition of my current shop building, I have been working on a new basement shop. I am just about ready to start moving my stuff over when I start thinking, maybe my current miter saw bench is too big. Here's a pic of it:

It's 16' wide. I have the space for it in the new basement shop, but I was wondering if it might be an overkill. Can you guys post pics of what you are using and tell me what you like and don't like about it. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
    John
    Woodworking:
    "It's not just a hobby, it's an adventure."

This is mine. It is a rebuild of a cabinet out of a school chemistry lab. The wings fold down and are long enough to put an 8' board on them and cut off a little from the end ( from blade to end of wing = 4'). It is on casters, the front two lock.

CPeter
    Attached Images Attached Images

My miter saw actually is stored in an outbuilding and only used on jobsites. I have a Jet aftermarket sliding table for their cabinet saw. It gives me the ability to crosscut sheet goods and to not need a miter saw in the shop. Just a thought.

On my old saw I had an Exactor sliding table and it did work real good, but I process a lot of rough lumber and like to be able to rip and crosscut with out changing the setups.

CPeter

John, ShopNotes vol 2 Issue 11 has plans for a portable miter saw station. I have built two of them and use the current version all the time. The portability is that you can reverse the wings and fold them inside to pick it up and bring it to a job site. It supports my Hitachi SCMS, and could fill the bill for you. I just happen to have two copies of this shop notes. Send me a PM or e-mail and we can take it from there. Sorry, I don't have a pic

I have two. One for jobsites and one for the shop. Here's a couple of pictures.
    Alan & Lynette Mikkelsen, Mountain View Farm Gardens & Fine Woodworking, St. Ignatius, MT. Visitors Welcome!

I wouldn't say it is overkill unless you never use that much table, but while I have been doing a lot of molding work in my remodelling, I know I could have used that station very efficiently I say keep it if you have the room to spare!

Corey

Alan, I love your shop set up station. If I had the room to do a shop set up it would be like yours with storage for cut offs etc. under neath. I think Wood magazine just did a shop remodel as well and theres was about the same size and allow for the storage a 6 1/2 inch Jointer.

Corey

This is mine.

John, I don't think your miter saw bench is too big,
    I think your saw is too small!!!!

Wow, nice set up Chris, Kreg Foreman and all!!

Corey

Thanks all for the pics and the advice. I am hoping some more folks will jump in.

Chris, that is one awesome miter saw-kreg jig-RAS station you have there. Nice storage too.

Thanks Guys,
    John
    Woodworking:
    "It's not just a hobby, it's an adventure."

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Wallace
    John, I don't think your miter saw bench is too big,
    I think your saw is too small!!!!
    Hey Hunter, can you show us a full sized pic of the clock in your Avatar? It looks nice, but it is so small I can't see the detail. You can show us in this thread (sorry about the hijack) or start a new one. Just show us!

Thanks!
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Thanks Corey & John.

I have just finished mine, its based on the one in Wood Magazine Dec 1999. I added a lift off hood to contain the dust. I used a 12 x 6 x 6 register boot to connect to the dust collector. With the dust collector running it seems to get everything, including the small offcuts. However, if you cut a piece of MDF without turning on the dust collector you get a big cloud of dust blown back out at you.

Bob