Thread: Cherry bed finished

Cherry bed finished

This is a bed out of cherry for my daughter, very similar to the one I built for ourselves (that was out of walnut as some of you may remember).
    I started this last summer got all the parts but for various reasons the project was shelved until last month.
    Here are some pictures as it is getting close to final stages. The shop is in a mess when I take photos as every minute of shop time I get is used to work there.
    First, posts are being glued, then turned, then flutes are being added. The longer posts are made of two sections that are connected by round M/T joints:

p1.jpgp2.jpgp3.jpgp5.jpgp7.jpgp8.jpgp9.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mreza Salav; 06-19-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Preparing thing veneers for the bent lamination, the form is from the crib I made a few of years ago:

p10.jpgp11.jpg

Here are the head board and the foot board. The panels are book matched from a single 11" wide 8/4 board and the inlays are 1/8" wide curly maple.

p12.jpgp13.jpgp14.jpgp15.jpgp16.jpgp17.jpg
    Last edited by mreza Salav; 06-19-2013 at 10:32 AM.

FYI There are no pics.

fixed the pic's.

I got back to it recently and finally finished it. The finish is a very light coat of General vintage cherry stain followed by Target EM9000. I'm not quite happy with the finish (at least it looks different from the test pieces I had and I think I should have used a different top coat), especially compared to the chest of drawers that I made for her a few years ago (can be seen in the background photo here). That was Don Kondra's mix finish and of course the cherry has aged and it was a very figured wood.. Perhaps this one looks better too after aging a bit...

f1.jpgf2.jpgf3.jpg

Blog Entries
    Great looking bed. Nice work.

Beautiful! I am in the midst of making a new bed as well! I love yours!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Note to self: do not let my wife see these photos. This is some awesome work. Also a great idea on turning the bed posts in sections and joining with dowels. I have a short bed lathe and 16" is the max turning range for me. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks to all for the comments.

Very nice...Built a similar ones few years ago...Those curves can be a challenge....Good job!!!
    Jerry

I like the the bed and the dresser.Cherry is one of my favorites.The bed design is very nice.Thanks for sharing your work.