Thread: Cast iron table legs?

Cast iron table legs?

My family likes tables with wooden tops and thin, round cast iron table legs. Go figure.

Maybe they think it makes it easier for me to make them tables.

Any one know of a good source? I'd like to spend $100 or less for a set of 4. With a table base or not, doesn't matter. Thanks.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

While I'm not 100% sure what you're describing, why not use black iron plumbing pipe w/ the appropriate cast iron plumbing flanges to attach to bottom of table? Would be inexpensive and with a tubing cutter and threading tool, you make them exactly the length you want or use pre-threaded lengths to get close. Go to the hardware and in the odd misc. you can find rubber tips/caps for bottom of legs.
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 06-19-2013 at 8:23 PM.

I'm with Mac as I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for but what comes to mind is one of two things. The first would be cast iron legs like you might find on old industrial or warehouse tables; lee valley sells a variety of them on their web sight. These cast legs are generally "x" shaped and would only require two per table. There ar a few variations on this theme. An image of their product is below. However, what I think you may be referring to is not a cast iron leg but a solid steel leg, sometimes called a "hairpin" leg. These legs were common on mid-century modern furniture and have made quite a comeback lately. They are often chrome plated but may be found in black or other designer colors. I have not ordered from them, or have any affiliation, but I found several examples of this style of leg at tableleg.com. including the 2nd and third picture below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rockler is selling those hairpin legs as a new item. I posted a link yesterday (or so I thought I did) but it's gone today. In any event these are easily available now.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge