Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My CRP4848 Build

Pretty cool idea on how you attached the extrusion!

Stuff you can work on till the motors come in:
    1. Get an overhead dust collection line ran ASAP.
    2. Energy chain and cables ran for motors
    3. wiring and plates for home swithces and touch plates
    4. Bed installed
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 06-27-2013 at 9:44 AM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I'm really getting interested in your build. I want to replace my cnc. How stiff is that gantry and the rest of the frame? Do you know what kind of cutting speeds these are suppose to be able to work at in the real world? I've had my router plunge into my bed before but yours looks like it has more meat around the router available to clamp to. Do you think it is possible on that build that the router can be set so that the lowest it could go is to the height of your bed? I think mine was caused by static electricity in my dust collection that threw it off. It seems to be going together pretty quickly. If your build works good, I may have to sell my CNC and upgrade to one of these. Still debating on that or saving more money for a cammaster.

Bobby, the "issue" with CNC Router Parts machines are that no two machines are the same. If you build a heavy duty base, keep your build tolerances tight, use a high powered spindle, and use NEMA34 motors you should be able to chew up materials pretty well. It won't be "industrial" level but it will do everything a ShopBot will.

Some of the "hard data" is a CNCRouterParts machine will rapid easily over 1000ipm. The cutting data is far less "hard" but 3/4" plywood in 2 passes at 200+ipm is what a few people have reported. Again, that's not crazy fast but it's fast for a machine that costs sub 10k all in.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Curtis,

I am also watching this thread with great interest. I recently created a thread about being nosy and the following question certainly fits in that category. I would be very interested in knowing about how much money you have in the unit when it is completed and operational.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    Bobby, the "issue" with CNC Router Parts machines are that no two machines are the same. If you build a heavy duty base, keep your build tolerances tight, use a high powered spindle, and use NEMA34 motors you should be able to chew up materials pretty well. It won't be "industrial" level but it will do everything a ShopBot will.

Some of the "hard data" is a CNCRouterParts machine will rapid easily over 1000ipm. The cutting data is far less "hard" but 3/4" plywood in 2 passes at 200+ipm is what a few people have reported. Again, that's not crazy fast but it's fast for a machine that costs sub 10k all in.
    Thanks for the response. That's about all I would ask for in the machine.

Great talking with you tonight Curtis. Having your machine built in 3days, 4X4 cutting area, steel and alum and under $4K - BAM!!!! You did a very good job. Keep at it! Its yours, you know it in and out, and can add a ton of mods YOUR WAY on YOUR TIME.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

It has been a while since I posted an update. Got too busy getting everything set up!

The motors came the Monday after I started construction (Saturday) via UPS. I got them all installed on the machine and hooked up the wires. I also wired up the controller and hooked up the computer. I was at a buddy's business before I started the build and I noticed he had 3 junk computers sitting there. I asked what he was going to do with them and said they were going in the trash, he just had not tossed them yet. Well, I left with all three computers and managed to get one of them running very well! Stripped down with just XP and Mach3 running with all processes not required shut down, it is actually very fast for a Pentium 4!

Anyway, I got the software all configured and went to the jog screen to manually control the router and the first button I pushed made it move as intended!!

Not to bad if I must say so myself! Started building on Saturday after lunch and have the machine "jogging" by Monday evening after working all day Monday and not just working on the build over the weekend!

I am very happy with the kit from CNC Router Parts and would highly recommend them to anyone wanting to save some money getting into CNC.

Here is a youtube video I shot of some of the first movement of the machine!

http://youtu.be/l3oxaXvA7VU
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

OK, here are some more pics of my build. Sorry I was not able to update it as it went.

I wanted to come up with a good, easy way to attach my spoilboard without having to try to hit all of the slots in the extrusions. I ended up ripping some of the left over LVL's from the base and attached them to the sides of the extrusions with carriage bolts. This give me an easy way to attache the spoilboard with screws from the top down in countersunk holes.

spoil2.jpg

spoil3.jpg

To get the carriage bolts in the extrusions without having to take them apart, I made a jig and used a 7/8" bi-metal hole saw to cut a hole in the extrusion for the bolt head to slip in.

Spoil1.jpg

Here is the spoilboard installed. I also installed some 1/2" pieces on each side to fill in the empty space so things don't fall down under the bed.
    spoil4.jpg

Cable management e-chain installed
    cable1.jpg

Z and Y axis e-chain installed
    cable2.jpg
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

For dust collection, I went cheap and bought a DC from Harbor Freight. I mounted it up high on a platform I welded up and vented it through my outside wall. I have a drum outside that catches the chips. Not at all worried about the dangerous dust since it is outside!

Dustcollector.jpg

Here she is basically done! I just pieced together some extra DC hose I had and will be replacing that soon. I also bought a dust shoe from KentCNC and installed a Super PID for complete control of my router.

PID1.jpg

Here is a close up of the Super PID enclosure I built. Of course I used the CNC to make it and engrave my company logo in it. I then rubbed some blue paint into the engraving to make it stand out better. I mounted it on the z axis extrusion so it is out of the way and easy to see. This thing is super sweet!
    PID2.jpg

Here is the first project I ran with the new machine! This is a component of the vacuum chambers I build and was made from 1/2" PVC. Man, it sure was easier than using the dado blade in my tablesaw!
    scalespacers.jpg

Here it is running the very first sign I did. We started our first veggie garden this year and I thought it needed a sign! This was ran in Eastern Red Cedar with a bit change in the process.

gardensign1.jpg

Here is the finished sign. It has me, my wife, our 7 year old daughter, and my daughter's cat!
    gardensign.jpg
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

Looks good. Hopefully it pays for itself very quickly. How much time are you going to save doing your vacuum chambers? Nothing beats kicking back in a chair with a drink and watching a machine make you money.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby milam View Post
    Looks good. Hopefully it pays for itself very quickly. How much time are you going to save doing your vacuum chambers? Nothing beats kicking back in a chair with a drink and watching a machine make you money.
    Oh, it has already started paying for itself! The scale spacers I posted above used to take an hour or so to make. Now I can make the same number in about 15 minutes. I changed the lid design for my chambers and am now making them with 3/4" PVC. My old lid design was a major holdup in production as they took an average of 1.5 hours EACH! I made the two below in about 30 minutes including flipping the material and changing bits twice! Today I used it to make parts for a commissioned specialty chamber.

Here is the specialty chamber I did today. I made a custom bottom piece with tabs to screw it down to a base as well as a collar at the top for the lid and gasket to mate against. All done in PVC
    cuechamber1.jpg

Here is the completed chamber with the custom made lid with little handles to make it easier to take off!
    cuechamber2.jpg

Here is one of the new design chamber lids being ran on the machine.
    Lid1.jpg

lid2.jpg

Completed lid with red paint rubbed in the engraving to make it look nicer!

lid3.jpg

I wish I would have done this years ago! I have found so many uses for this machine already!
    Last edited by Curtis O. Seebeck; 07-12-2013 at 9:40 PM.
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

Great thread Curtis! I really enjoyed the photos.

13. Well done Curtis - what are you using to hold down the pieces? A vacuum table?