Thread: T-Track in workbench top?

T-Track in workbench top?

I'm working on a new bench top, 4/4 Ash, and wondering if a nice addition might be some T-track in the top. Thoughts? Anyone else done this?
    You can fix stupid, but there are often legal ramifications

I've never had the need for a t-track in my workbench. I just don't see where I would ever use it and I've been woodworking for 50 years.

I would think that the problems with dust and screws falling into the track would be more trouble than the benefits of having the track. I built a bench top out of MDF (nothing near as nice as your plan) and I incorporated a couple of replaceable 3/4" softwood strips into the top, figuring that I would use them to occasionally mount a fence extension or clamping surface. That was almost three years ago and I've never used them.

It could be useful for holding down work pieces but not critical. If you have a good idea of what type of work is going to be done on the bench and T slot would help you out then go for it but if you are just speculating about its worth I'd leave it out of the design.

I prefer dogs holes for lateral work holding. They allow you to exert a decent amount of clamping force, and they resist the forces of planing well. My t-track hold downs wouldn't do that as well.

I wouldn't count it out, though. I have often thought it would be nice to have parallel t-tracks running the length of the bench for light work holding things like flat panels when sanding or routing. A t-track might also be appropriate in a board jack. It'll give you infinite vertical holding possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I prefer dogs holes for lateral work holding. They allow you to exert a decent amount of clamping force, and they resist the forces of planing well. My t-track hold downs wouldn't do that as well.

I wouldn't count it out, though. I have often thought it would be nice to have parallel t-tracks running the length of the bench for light work holding things like flat panels when sanding or routing. A t-track might also be appropriate in a board jack. It'll give you infinite vertical holding possibilities.
    Thanks gentlemen, appreciate the thoughts and opinions. I've attached a pic of where I'm at so far just for grinsbench.jpg
    You can fix stupid, but there are often legal ramifications

I prefer dog holes for providing both lateral clamping (dogs) and downward clamping (various types of holdfasts).

I prefer them because when they are not in use there is no metal on my benchtop to scratch my work. When they are in use I use a clamping block of wood to protect my project, but that' associated with the clamping, not casual bench use.

Just my $0.02.. YMMV>

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I wouldn't put one in my bench ...unless you have a specific use for it there. I do have them in my router table. If you decide to put them in, be sure to recess them deeply enough (plus a little extra). You don't want to be running into them. Dog holes are much more useful for me.

Bernie LeBlanc from NH posted pictures of his workbench build around embedded T-tracks and posted pictures on the Canadian Woodworking website....look in the general 'woodworking' pages around February 19th of this year.

Michael