Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engraving Firearms

Engraving Firearms

Hey guys just curious has anyone engraved any firearms? What's the difficulty level and any type of care after engraving?
    Eddie Castaneda
    Wire-Tech, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300 flexx 60W CO2 Laser/30W Fiber Laser
    EngraveLab 9.0
    CorelDraw X6

I engraved one of my Glocks and it worked fine. I have done a little research on this. Glock's have a finish that is very good for laser engraving. I understand that other firearms may not be so well suited for it. I think you can engrave stainless firearms if you used Cermark but I have not tried it yet. If you're going to do it commercially there are a bunch of laws that get in the way. You can't take in a customers gun for engraving unless you have a Federal Firearms License. (I'm no lawyer so don't hold me to all these details.) I understand there are ways around this by doing things like having the customer wait there while you do the work or by disassembling the gun and only having the slide in your possession to engrave and have the customer keep the lower. You also have to be real careful that your engraving doesn't affect the markings on the firearm including the serial number and the information that identified the manufacturer of the firearm. Those items are required by law to be on the gun and to dismember them in any way would be illegal.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Mark Smith
    Tracy, CA
    Mark's Custom Woodcrafts
    Legacy Artie 58 CNC
    Hurricane Ivan 60 Watt Laser

Mark, Thanks for the heads up! Commercially is a little to much for me by myself, a couple guys here at work were asking about marking so I thought I would ask all you guys instead of jumping in Head first then messing up. Hmm Cermark I might have todo some research on that stuff!
    Eddie Castaneda
    Wire-Tech, Inc.

EngraveLab 9.0
    CorelDraw X6

Measure twice, cut once.
    Measure twice, cut once.
    Measure twice, cut once.

If you plan on doing a lot, [try to] get your FFL. You legally cannot possess someone else's firearm without it: the customer would have to stay on site while you have the firearm. This is not true for components (barrels, slides, stocks etc.), only a complete firearm or the receiver (part with serial number).

Level of difficulty will vary based on project scope.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...16710540_o.jpg [relatively hard]

http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...10051923_o.jpg [relatively easy]

Garbage in, garbage out: do not ever engrave substandard artwork on a firearm. It's a lose-lose.

Moving forward, create fixtures as save them.
    Last edited by Chris DeGerolamo; 06-20-2013 at 2:26 PM.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

There was a Sig Sauer I tried to engrave with my Yag last year, not sure what kind of coating was on it but it came out pretty crappy and had to hustle it to the gunsmith's and he did his best to pretty much cover it over, think I lost about 20 lbs that week!!! I've done slides in the past with no problems but some of the newer finishes don't seem to take engraving well, I'm now super picky about what slides I engrave now.

When engraving guns I always let the owner know there is no guarantee it will turn out. With that said I try and engrave on areas of the gun that can easily and cheaply be replaced or fixed. If I am engraving on the metal of the gun I will usually take the gun apart and do a small test engraving on an area that will be hidden once the gun is reassembled so I know how the finish will react to it the laser. I also do a test engraving with blue tape to make sure everything is in the right place. After the test if everything looks good I engrave right through the tape without moving the gun.

With all that said make sure you charge enough for engraving on guns, they require a custom set up for each one.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Smith Jr View Post
    There was a Sig Sauer I tried to engrave with my Yag last year, not sure what kind of coating was on it but it came out pretty crappy and had to hustle it to the gunsmith's and he did his best to pretty much cover it over, think I lost about 20 lbs that week!!! I've done slides in the past with no problems but some of the newer finishes don't seem to take engraving well, I'm now super picky about what slides I engrave now.

Sigs yield the worst result of all the manufacturers I've ever worked on.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Chris, that Relatively Easy picture do you use anything else for that to stand out?
    Eddie Castaneda
    Wire-Tech, Inc.

EngraveLab 9.0
    CorelDraw X6

What would be the best Laser type to use when doing this kind of work?
    Eddie Castaneda
    Wire-Tech, Inc.

EngraveLab 9.0
    CorelDraw X6

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Castaneda View Post
    Chris, that Relatively Easy picture do you use anything else for that to stand out?
    Yep, Cermark.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

What would be the best Laser type to use when doing this kind of work?
    Your CO2 would be just fine.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

So far I have only done wood stocks. Kind of scary doing something to an expensive gun without knowing if it will work or not. I know I have done a few knives that have a gray coating that is probably like a gun. Hard as heck and I can slightly mark it but can't get through it with my 45W, even with multiple passes at high power and very slow speed. So far the customers have been satisfied or at least they haven't complained. Probably don't charge enough for those special one-off pieces.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

How about Lenses? I know that plays a big part in the marking
    Eddie Castaneda
    Wire-Tech, Inc.

EngraveLab 9.0
    CorelDraw X6

How about Lenses? I know that plays a big part in the marking
    Never had a problem with our 2" lens that came with the machine.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

I do a couple hundred uppers a month and a spattering of receivers. Most are anodized, so they laser very well. Hint - You want to "bleach" the anodization NOT blow through it to the bare metal. The good thing is the current laws understand engraving, but not so much "marking". Just read up on the laws and don't hesitate to turn down business if you think it may be a violation.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC