Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion wanted.

Opinion wanted.

I will be buying a new jointer in the next week or two and would appreciate your thoughts relative to 4 HSS knives vs. a spiral head. What I am really asking is what will an additional $300+ buy me if I upgrade to a spiral cutter. My machine of choice at this point is the Grizzly GO604X and this is based on the bed length (55") and what I can reasonably afford for my hobby of woodworking.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Eyre View Post
    I will be buying a new jointer in the next week or two and would appreciate your thoughts relative to 4 HSS knives vs. a spiral head. What I am really asking is what will an additional $300+ buy me if I upgrade to a spiral cutter. My machine of choice at this point is the Grizzly GO604X and this is based on the bed length (55") and what I can reasonably afford for my hobby of woodworking.
    what kind of wood will you be jointing as I get the impression that the spiral cutter works for difficult grain whereas the regular cutter is good for ordinary grained wood.

Gordon,

I have the 8" version of that jointer. It works well. I bought the spiral cutter head version as I don't want to spend time sharpening or aligning blades. When one side gets dull, I rotate it 90 degrees. When the 4th side gets dull, I order replacements. No alignment required. I have yet to dull the first set in the 2 years I have owned and used it.

That is the primary reason I bought the spiral head.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Gordon,
    Spiral head gets my vote. I’ll be upgrading my DJ-20 when the time comes.
    Jay

Spiral head, hands down. Adjusting jointer knives is ( in my opinion) a huge waste of valuable shop time which could be spent on something useful, like ordering new tools. Seriously, my jointer and planer were switched over a few years ago with no regrets.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a spiral head for a jointer, as 99% of everything I put through a jointer will also have to go through a planer. So if there is any tear-out from the jointer, the planer would handily clean that up.

If I were flush with cash, I suppose I'd get spiral heads on both.

But I wouldn't end-up in a situation where I had a spiral head on a jointer, and straight knives on the planer. That would be sub-optimum.

Were I buying new, I'd get the spiral head. Since I'm cheap and only buy used stationary machines, I'll probably never have one. On the other hand, if you are comfortable sharpening and setting jointer knives, and you have a drum sander, there's no great need for a spiral head. When I get into nasty woods with tear out, I just stop shorter of jointing/planing to final thickness than I would with wood that doesn't tear out and go the rest of the way with the drum sander. Of course, this adds time, but I'm a hobbiest like you so a few extra minutes isn't costing me business.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    what kind of wood will you be jointing as I get the impression that the spiral cutter works for difficult grain whereas the regular cutter is good for ordinary grained wood.
    Thanks for your input. I pretty much use standard woods as I cannot get anything exotic around here so that would not be a strong point for spending an additional $300+

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Gordon,

I have the 8" version of that jointer. It works well. I bought the spiral cutter head version as I don't want to spend time sharpening or aligning blades. When one side gets dull, I rotate it 90 degrees. When the 4th side gets dull, I order replacements. No alignment required. I have yet to dull the first set in the 2 years I have owned and used it.

That is the primary reason I bought the spiral head.
    Definitely this would be a strong point for the spiral cutter. I guess I just have to weigh the inconvienience of the blades against the $300. I used my old jointer for 25 years and while it was a pain to sharpen and mount the blades I just thought of it as a necessary evil. Thanks for reminding me of that Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Rasmussen View Post
    Gordon,
    Spiral head gets my vote. I’ll be upgrading my DJ-20 when the time comes.
    Jay
    As a retired person on a fixed income I have to weigh the cost against both my wife's and my own needs and wants. I never go in debt for anything so that is not an option for me. Like yourself, I certainly understand the want side of the equation but my wife's wants just go on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by david brum View Post
    Spiral head, hands down. Adjusting jointer knives is ( in my opinion) a huge waste of valuable shop time which could be spent on something useful, like ordering new tools. Seriously, my jointer and planer were switched over a few years ago with no regrets.
    I hear you David. Still, one could buy an extra set of knives and then would just have the task of resetting them every couple of years.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

My vote is also for the spiral carbide head. One thing not mentioned yet is that the spiral head is so much quieter, almost a joy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Were I buying new, I'd get the spiral head. Since I'm cheap and only buy used stationary machines, I'll probably never have one. On the other hand, if you are comfortable sharpening and setting jointer knives, and you have a drum sander, there's no great need for a spiral head. When I get into nasty woods with tear out, I just stop shorter of jointing/planing to final thickness than I would with wood that doesn't tear out and go the rest of the way with the drum sander. Of course, this adds time, but I'm a hobbiest like you so a few extra minutes isn't costing me business.

John
    What you say makes a lot of sense John, thanks for your input.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Len Henkel View Post
    My vote is also for the spiral carbide head. One thing not mentioned yet is that the spiral head is so much quieter, almost a joy to use.
    Good point Len, I wonder why that is?
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Gordon, from what I can gather a spiral head slices the wood rather than beat it into submission. Plus the numerous carbide cutters are taking small amounts at a time.

I wish I had not bought a spiral cutter head. Said no-one ever.

Blog Entries
    Another spiral head advocate here. They are less expensive in the long run. One of the mags did an article on the total cost of ownership over time. I can tell you, based on my knifed machine use, that I made up the additional cost of the spiral head in about 24 months. This will vary with your work, some make back the investment sooner, some later. The carbide stays sharp many times longer than HSS knives. When they do finally need attention, you rotate to the second of four edges.

Ah, here's the article I was thinking of: http://www.finewoodworking.com/tool-...head-cost.aspx
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-21-2013 at 11:53 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Bas Pluim View Post
    I wish I had not bought a spiral cutter head. Said no-one ever.

Some who wished they had another router might have.

I'm rapidly starting to believe you can actually have too many clamps but it will be a long time before you have too many routers.