Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many routers do you own?

Smile How many routers do you own?

I have ONE single Bosch router combo my wife bought for me for Christmas a few years ago and I have a small HF trim router.

I am finding the need for more routers and reason being is I do a lot of dadoes and it would be nice to just leave a dado bit in one, a round over bit in one, beading bit in one, etc... to keep from changing them so often.

I see many people with multiple routers, is this a common practice or just the fact that we are tool nuts and love routers?....
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

I only have one and it's all I need, so far. *shrugs*

4 and a half (plus a CNC router - but that doesn't really count.)

One in the router table (Porter Cable 7529).

One permanently assigned to the Leigh FMT jig (it required the use of a special base to use on the jig) (Porter Cable 690LR with 6902 Motor).

One used on the Leigh D4R jig and general work around the shop. (Another 690LR with a 6902 motor).

One Bosch Colt for light work.

I have the router base for my Dremel - so I counted that as 1/2.

It's worth noting that I make my living doing this - so anything I can do to save time makes me money in the long run. When I was a pure hobbyist, I had one for the router table, and one for other uses.

In the same spirit, I have multiple drills and drivers as well. When I'm assembling something, it's much quicker to have a drill set up with a #2 robertson bit, one with a #1 bit, etcetera. Having to swap out bits in the same drill gets old fast when you're assembling multiple cabinets all day long. Again - when I was a pure hobbyist, one drill did it all.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

Four. Need four more.

Roy, I am with you with the drills, I have 2 sets of Dewalt 12 volt drill and impacts and a 20 v set of the same. I started as a hobbyist but branched out into the friends and family territory and now going further as a side job and feel the need to save time as you said.

I also need one with the dovetail bit and collar left in, I do a lot of dovetail jewelry boxes and that gets to be a pain as well changing all the time and resetting bit height constantly.

Let's see,, two 15A ones in my table.. Two 15A handheld..... 3 Sears mid-sized dual-base units [3 motors, 6 bases], most with jigs affixed... and a Bosch Colt...

I guess that's eight...

While not necessary, it's handy to leave a router set up for cut until the project is complete. That way if you later goof up a piece the re-make is a piece of cake. But then, maybe I'm the only one here who ever makes mistakes!!

Jim in Alska
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Five. Although three of those are trim routers. They just seem to proliferate.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Five, and one spindle.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

At least eight or nine. I'd have to go out and count. But four of them are set up for the Leigh and Keller DT jigs.

So it's looking like I'm not totally crazy by thinking I need more. The wife thinks otherwise which is why I had to justify it...

It's a sickness, somebody stop me. I can count 21, but I think there are more hiding somewhere. I have gotten a lot of cheapies off CL for single duty. Sure is handy. See my recent post on $105 worth of routers.

Unsigned, no one will ever figure out who I am.

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    Six....but will be selling all except my PC7518 that resides in a Jessum Mast-R-Lift, and replace with three Festool routers in the next month or so. (1010, 1400, and 2200)
    Currently PC, Ryobi (X2), Makita, Bosch (X2)
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

Four actual routers, plus a Roto-Zip, plus three Dremel tools (with the Dremel plunge router attachment & the Dremel router table attachment).

The "perfect" router has yet to be invented & probably never will..
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shinall View Post
    How many routers do you own?
    I cannot tell you...

because my wife might read this...

and then I will die.

I'm down to 4....Milwaukee 5625 for table use, Freud FT1700 for table use, Milwaukee 5615 for plunge use, Hitachi M12VC for hand use.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....