Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me solve a debate over electrical use.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.

Help me solve a debate over electrical use.

One of my friends -- who happens to be a perpetual worry-wart -- is so concerned about safety and electrical use, she unplugs everything when she closes up. I mean everything: the drill press, lights, chop saw, claiming that leaving them in the 110 outlet uses up electricity and presents a safety hazard. OK, I understand battery chargers, because they have a transformer, but all those other tools don't draw a microamp unless they're turned ON.

OK, I know that there are exceptional situations (shorts, etc) that could remotely be a factor, but it simply isn't worth the stress and bother to unplug and replug every day.

So, chime in and settle the debate.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

I'll bet she doesn't unplug her TV at night.
    SMSgt USAF (Retired) 1964-1991
    Aim High

Most tools aren't going to draw any current when they're off. Keeping them plugged in certainly presents one safety hazard. It increase your exposure to an electrical fire due to a damaged piece of equipment. Then again, constantly plugging and unplugging everything increases the wear on the tool/outlet and increases the chance of damage causing a fire.

There's no correct answer here. I generally leave everything plugged in. I also leave my computers on 24/7.

I unplug everything but for a different reason. Years ago I lost a bunch of equipment because of a lightening strike. Insurance companies have a knack for not paying off on policies for stupid reasons.

She must have read a thread on here a year or so ago, where someone woke up in the middle of the night and their table saw in the basement was running (or some similar circumstance). There is always the exception. I'll go with the odds.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Everything in my "studio" is unplugged unless I'm using it, or plan on using it again the same day. Of course, I live in the lightening capital of the universe.
    Regards,
    Dick

All electric machinery that has a ON/OFF switch draws 0 voltage in the off position (otherwise the machine would be running)! The ON/OFF switch physically cuts the electrical circuit so its the same as if it not pugged in at all (after the switch point, that is). Now places that are prone to lightning, surges and brown outs have their own concerns and there are some whole home (circuit breaker box versions) surge protectors that can assist with the strikes and surges but even they aren't 100% reliable. So for an energy saving option....it's nonsense..... for switches machines. Now if your a moron, like I have been, and left the radio, lights and fan running all night... well that doesn't save any energy! I forgot to go back out and shut off things after coming in for a drink and staying for supper!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    All electric machinery that has a ON/OFF switch draws 0 voltage in the off position (otherwise the machine would be running)!
    Generally yes, but my 1642 has a BRB (big red button) ON/OFF switch, and when plugged on and turned off, it still lights up the inverter & speed indicator, so it's drawing some (miniscule) current whenever plugged in. Same with the TV in the corner of the shop - even when OFF, there's some live circuitry monitoring the remote control sensors.

I don't have a master power cutoff switch for the shop, but I do have a subpanel in the shop where I turn everything off when I leave. I also physically unplug the lathe to protect it from any lightning surge that might jump across the breaker or creep in through the common/ground wire.
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

Blog Entries
    I keep my TV/cablebox/subwoofer, my surround/blu ray/misc stereo gear, tool battery chargers and misc wall warts plugged into power strips so when I leave for a week or more, all I do is turn off the power strip to disable any transformers. Used to be same for my internet modem/wireless router, but I need those now for my security system. Everything else stays plugged in. I suppose a random surge or gremlin could turn on my saw and dust collector which have mag starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    All electric machinery that has a ON/OFF switch draws 0 voltage in the off position (otherwise the machine would be running)! The ON/OFF switch physically cuts the electrical circuit so its the same as if it not pugged in at all (after the switch point, that is). Now places that are prone to lightning, surges and brown outs have their own concerns and there are some whole home (circuit breaker box versions) surge protectors that can assist with the strikes and surges but even they aren't 100% reliable. So for an energy saving option....it's nonsense..... for switches machines. Now if your a moron, like I have been, and left the radio, lights and fan running all night... well that doesn't save any energy! I forgot to go back out and shut off things after coming in for a drink and staying for supper!
    That's what I don't like about the Grizzly G0490 jointer. There is no "ON/OFF" switch, only start and estop. When it is plugged in, it draws current (albeit not much). I unplug it because I don't like the control panel. The Grizzly bandsaw and the '52 Craftsman tablesaw (with Rockler paddle switch installed) stay plugged in, unless there a contractor working in the house (usually the heating guy) or if I'm going away for more than a few days.

When the family goes on vacation for 1-4 weeks (usually 2 weeks), I will unplug everything in the shop. Heck, I even turn the water heater down to minimum temperature although I do keep the pilot burning. I even unplug the washer/dryer and open the doors to let 'em air out. Otherwise, I leave everything plugged in while I'm regularly at home.

In the kitchen, I've gotten the family in the habit of keeping tailed accessories (mixer, toaster, waffle iron, blender, etc.) unplugged when not in use. Only the fridge and stove stay plugged in indefinitely. It just feels safer to me to do this in the kitchen. In the shop, I'm the only one in there...my daughter rarely goes in it and she's 11 anyway so doesn't need to push a bunch of button (except on her old man! LOL).
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

At home, I generally leave stuff plugged in (computers may be on 24/7), including shop tools. However, when I'm on a jobsite, I unplug anything I leave behind for the night/weekend and generally make things as "safe" as I reasonably can. OCCASIONALLY, I'll leave a battery charger going with a battery on it if I know I'll need it the next day.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

same here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Quiram View Post
    I unplug everything but for a different reason. Years ago I lost a bunch of equipment because of a lightening strike. Insurance companies have a knack for not paying off on policies for stupid reasons.
    Cutting rough stock lumber is like scrambling an egg, there is no going back

how do a surge protector work ? WILL THE insurance company favor the surge suppress that go in your meter housing ? the electric company sell them but do not try to sell you into buying them

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    how do a surge protector work ? WILL THE insurance company favor the surge suppress that go in your meter housing ? the electric company sell them but do not try to sell you into buying them
    Some insurance companies will give you a discount if you use protective equipment, such as whole-house surge protectors.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5