Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me solve a debate over electrical use.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.

Help me solve a debate over electrical use.

One of my friends -- who happens to be a perpetual worry-wart -- is so concerned about safety and electrical use, she unplugs everything when she closes up. I mean everything: the drill press, lights, chop saw, claiming that leaving them in the 110 outlet uses up electricity and presents a safety hazard. OK, I understand battery chargers, because they have a transformer, but all those other tools don't draw a microamp unless they're turned ON.

OK, I know that there are exceptional situations (shorts, etc) that could remotely be a factor, but it simply isn't worth the stress and bother to unplug and replug every day.

So, chime in and settle the debate.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

I'll bet she doesn't unplug her TV at night.
    SMSgt USAF (Retired) 1964-1991
    Aim High

Most tools aren't going to draw any current when they're off. Keeping them plugged in certainly presents one safety hazard. It increase your exposure to an electrical fire due to a damaged piece of equipment. Then again, constantly plugging and unplugging everything increases the wear on the tool/outlet and increases the chance of damage causing a fire.

There's no correct answer here. I generally leave everything plugged in. I also leave my computers on 24/7.

I unplug everything but for a different reason. Years ago I lost a bunch of equipment because of a lightening strike. Insurance companies have a knack for not paying off on policies for stupid reasons.

She must have read a thread on here a year or so ago, where someone woke up in the middle of the night and their table saw in the basement was running (or some similar circumstance). There is always the exception. I'll go with the odds.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Everything in my "studio" is unplugged unless I'm using it, or plan on using it again the same day. Of course, I live in the lightening capital of the universe.
    Regards,
    Dick

I unplug my power tools because of the possibility of lightening and/or power surges/outages. Lost a few things a couple of years back and I am not willing to take a chance of that happening again - especially with my tools!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

All electric machinery that has a ON/OFF switch draws 0 voltage in the off position (otherwise the machine would be running)! The ON/OFF switch physically cuts the electrical circuit so its the same as if it not pugged in at all (after the switch point, that is). Now places that are prone to lightning, surges and brown outs have their own concerns and there are some whole home (circuit breaker box versions) surge protectors that can assist with the strikes and surges but even they aren't 100% reliable. So for an energy saving option....it's nonsense..... for switches machines. Now if your a moron, like I have been, and left the radio, lights and fan running all night... well that doesn't save any energy! I forgot to go back out and shut off things after coming in for a drink and staying for supper!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I am all for a master switch on a panel ( with a lock if there are any young people about who could get into the shop and be irresponsible).
    Which I have for the 220 tools.
    When I leave the shop I like to KNOW there is no hot glue gun or soldering iron on.
    The inexpensive and 120 volt version of the master switched panel for tools or lights that are not a big amp draw or are used independently is . . .
    a power strip or two. I have several and a number of those have individual switches for each plug. Pretty handy when you want to change cutters, bits what have you and want the tool OFF for sure without plugging and unplugging all day. I have at least one angle shorty drill and one of many angle grinders that will bite you major if you try to change bits or disks with it plugged in. it is just too easy to hit the paddle switch and turn the tool on.
    Personally I like corded tools for the speed and power and will very often have six drills all out at once with various size bits, deburing tools etc. (metal working mostly). So there will be a couple of power strips for those. And many of the spot lights at work stations are on other circuits with many switches on each power strip so I can turn those lights off from near the bench rather than walk across again. sounds like a rats nest of extension cords but really isn't bad and the cords are up high not on the floor. Renting my place or I might go all conduit and fancy. I am very careful though.
    When I leave the shop, especially if it is going to be for more than one day, I flip off all the power strips and even unplug the big stereo.
    But that is because I live where there can be particularly well turned out lightening storms.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

I have a master switch too, so when everything is shut down I can flick it off.

She had better cover those outlets when not in use or shop humidity could cause electro plasma mists to form around them.

Most of my 220V tools share a plug, so I tend to unplug those regularly... And, like you, I tend to unplug battery chargers when I'm not around. The rest I don't tend to worry about. There was a big thing about "vampire appliances" a couple years on the Internet where people where getting all warped out about leaving wall wart chargers plugged in because they still have some trickle current passing through them. I did the math on that and decided it wasn't worth extraordinary efforts on my part. Maybe she's conflating the concepts?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    Most of my 220V tools share a plug, so I tend to unplug those regularly... And, like you, I tend to unplug battery chargers when I'm not around. The rest I don't tend to worry about. There was a big thing about "vampire appliances" a couple years on the Internet where people where getting all warped out about leaving wall wart chargers plugged in because they still have some trickle current passing through them. I did the math on that and decided it wasn't worth extraordinary efforts on my part. Maybe she's conflating the concepts?
    That could very well be it. Electronics such as TVs and PCs that have standby/suspend modes do indeed use electricity when turned off. For instance, my desktop PC seems to use about 5 watts when in standby, about the same as an incandescent night light. When a tool or machine like a table saw or router is turned off there is zero electrical draw. There are still good reasons to unplug things when not in use. There were some battery chargers some years ago that caught fire while plugged in and unattended.

As stated above by others, if there is a switch, when in the "off" position, teh circuit is "open". That means that there is no physical connection between the power source and the equipment past the point of the switch. Equipment that has a "low power mode," such as TV's, computers, and some other electrical stuff, is never fully disconnected unless unplugged. Those things either draw a trickle of current all the time (even when off), or can get "zapped" with a surge in the power supply (lightening strike for instance). It is physically impossible for lightning or power surge to affect equipment which is elctrically isolated from any source of the surge (the stuff that has a true on-off switch in the off position).

Recently, there has been a lot of press about "energy vampires." The household devices and equipment (like the TV, etc., mentioned above) are the "vampires". My wife also thinks everything needs to be unplugged to minimize electrical use. Not true however.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    All electric machinery that has a ON/OFF switch draws 0 voltage in the off position (otherwise the machine would be running)!
    Generally yes, but my 1642 has a BRB (big red button) ON/OFF switch, and when plugged on and turned off, it still lights up the inverter & speed indicator, so it's drawing some (miniscule) current whenever plugged in. Same with the TV in the corner of the shop - even when OFF, there's some live circuitry monitoring the remote control sensors.

I don't have a master power cutoff switch for the shop, but I do have a subpanel in the shop where I turn everything off when I leave. I also physically unplug the lathe to protect it from any lightning surge that might jump across the breaker or creep in through the common/ground wire.
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2