Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Help me solve a debate over electrical use.

Blog Entries
    I keep my TV/cablebox/subwoofer, my surround/blu ray/misc stereo gear, tool battery chargers and misc wall warts plugged into power strips so when I leave for a week or more, all I do is turn off the power strip to disable any transformers. Used to be same for my internet modem/wireless router, but I need those now for my security system. Everything else stays plugged in. I suppose a random surge or gremlin could turn on my saw and dust collector which have mag starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Gilfor View Post
    As stated above by others, if there is a switch, when in the "off" position, teh circuit is "open". That means that there is no physical connection between the power source and the equipment past the point of the switch. Equipment that has a "low power mode," such as TV's, computers, and some other electrical stuff, is never fully disconnected unless unplugged. Those things either draw a trickle of current all the time (even when off), or can get "zapped" with a surge in the power supply (lightening strike for instance). It is physically impossible for lightning or power surge to affect equipment which is elctrically isolated from any source of the surge (the stuff that has a true on-off switch in the off position).

Recently, there has been a lot of press about "energy vampires." The household devices and equipment (like the TV, etc., mentioned above) are the "vampires". My wife also thinks everything needs to be unplugged to minimize electrical use. Not true however.
    I made a good living for years repairing equipment that was off but still plugged in! A lightning bolt that jumps across the sky won't be stopped by a 0.25 inch gap in a switch! And the 0.25 in. gap is optimistic!

You are correct in the point that it will not reduce your electric bill, though.

Battery chargers with batteries attached... that's another issue.

for the people that do not understand lighting, you can buy Tesla coils or is it a tesla machine for 500 $ and this toy will teach you about very high voltage

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    for the people that do not understand lighting, you can buy Tesla coils or is it a tesla machine for 500 $ and this toy will teach you about very high voltage
    They will certainly teach you how to quickly blacken a fingernail... or make you remember to remove all rings before reaching into the capacitor bank (DAMHIKT). Not sure how much they'll teach you about lightning, though...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Speaking of Tesla, today is his birthday!!

This link to The Oatmeal regarding Tesla is VERY FUNNY but does contain some profanity. I think most might find it educational and entertaining.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    They will certainly teach you how to quickly blacken a fingernail... or make you remember to remove all rings before reaching into the capacitor bank (DAMHIKT). Not sure how much they'll teach you about lightning, though...
    If the Tesla machine will produce a spark two or three feet long , then this are lighting [on a small scale ] it will teach you about the effects of lighting but not where lighting will strike next

If you want to see a Tesla coil in action check out sparkmusuem.org.4 million volts and ten foot spark hitting a Faraday cage that you can be inside of. I've done it and it's pretty cool.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Lesson learned. Never operate a large Tesla coil inside your shop.

My shop is in the barn, and I have a panel by the door. All the breakers get flipped open (off) every time I leave the shop. It protects everything from things like lightning.
    What does it mean when you've accumulated enough tools that human life expectancy precludes you from ever getting truly good with all of them?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleks Hunter View Post
    It protects everything from things like lightning.
    From distant strikes, yes... but a close strike will still jump the air gap.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Breakers are not designed as switches. Just be aware that using them in that way will reduce its life expectancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Breakers are not designed as switches. Just be aware that using them in that way will reduce its life expectancy.
    AND efficiency...
    I drink, therefore I am.

I suppose it makes sense that the circuit breaker might be subject to wear when it is used but I suspect that they are actually designed to operate in this manner and this type of use is an expected use for the breakers, therefore I think its not to worry about and perfectly acceptable to use them in this manner. I did find some reference to this in the NEC and they don't recommend against this type of use.

Here is a typical circuit breaker, a run of the mill, $3.15 device sold by Home Depot. Notice that it is actuallly rated for use as a switch (SWD).

"The Square D by Schneider Electric Homeline 20 Amp One-Pole Circuit Breaker is used for overload and short-circuit protection of your electrical system. This breaker is compatible with Homeline load centers and CSED devices. The ANSI-certified and UL-listed unit is rated for 120/240 VAC and 10,000 AIR. Homeline circuit breakers are built with the same Square D brand quality you have come to expect at a price that makes them the best value in their class. Homeline circuit breakers are the best in class. Designed exclusively for the residential market, Homeline products offer everything you need to distribute electricity throughout your home.

• Homeline 20 Amp one-pole circuit breaker
    • Plug-on design, easy to install
    • Switching duty rating (SWD) for 20 Amp one-pole breakers
    • Compatible with Homeline load centers and CSED devices
    • 120/240-Volt AC
    • 10,000 AIR
    • Limited Lifetime Warranty
    • MFG Model # : HOM120
    • MFG Part # : HOM120"

Funny, every electrician has told me that each time a breaker trips, it weakens just a bit. And also that they are not made to be "switches". Sure, you can switch things off and on, but not on a daily basis.

If anyone wants to use then that way, have at it. Your shop. Your call. I just don't want to spend the money on new breakers.

When I leave my shop, at best, it gets locked.
    I drink, therefore I am.