Thread: smith mark 7???

smith mark 7???

Im not sure what the name of this equipment is??

smith marksman 7?
    something like that anyway.... a guy up here has one for sale in the box that was someone in his families that had passed away. Says never used. From what he tells me it has a planer, saw. and bunch of stuff inc a lathe in one big piece of equipment. You guys would know more than me re it.

He did go on to say it runs around 6k, and willing to sell off for 3k.

thoughts please?

Sounds a lot like ShopSmith?

Yup, Shopsmith Mark 7. I bet he is willing to sell for 3k. On the web site, a new machine is $3379, and the planer is $1400. Must be a ton of extras to get it to $6,000. You can buy them lightly used all day long for less, check Craigslist. They are a horrible table saw, poor lathe, good disc sander, good drill press, etc. The planer is an add on. It is not a big piece of equipment, they've sold it for years as all the tools you ever need in the size of a bicycle. As a lathe, they are too low to the floor, there are no threads on the headstock shaft, and the tube ways aren't good at dampening vibration. I'd pass unless you need to have something at a vacation cabin or similar use.

4. The ShopSmith is a combination machine that has a lot of interchangeable accessories which will convert from a drill press, table saw, lathe and a couple of other configurations. As far as a lathe goes...........everyone I know who has one of these feels the power is inadequate for a lathe......mostly for spindle work.

It was a decent idea, as a person who had limited space for a wood shop could get multiple machines from one power source with small footprint. I looked at these a few times........talked to some guys who did a lot of wood working.......they told me that spending time doing set up after set up for each operation you needed to do was such a waste of time.........more time setting up than actually doing the woodworking operation.

Still, for some, the Shopsmith is a viable machine............just know that a stationary machine will do a better job, and more easily than a convertable one machine does .............this of course is my opinion.........your mileage may vary, but I have done woodworking for the better part of 30 years....experience does count for something!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

They make acceptable boat anchors.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gilbert View Post
    I beg your pardon? I have a Shopsmith 10ER, mostly as a novelty but it is a heavy duty, completely made in USA, multiple tool unit that is very handy, especially in a small shop space. Mine was made in 1952, I refurbished it and if taken care of, as I have, it will last many more decades. Many people would take offense at your comment. No one likes to have a tool that they like and use to be insulted.
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.

Paul,

I have owned and used a Shopsmith currently upgraded to the 520 table system and PowerPro headstock. There are quite a few of us out here so you might want take it down a notch. I have built fine furniture with my SS as a hobby since 1984. Frankly, I'll stack the quality of the furniture I have built next to anyone's. Like the really old craftsman power tools they are very well built and last a life time.

Richard and others,

If this is a new Shopsmith Mark 7 then it is the PowerPro which uses the same variable speed electronic motor that is used in the $2000 plus Nova Lathe. Puts out 2hp on 220 across a speed band of 250rpms to 10,000rpms. Outstanding buy at $3,000. Go to the Shopsmith website and check it out.

Jack

Most recent project (solid black walnut, 1/2 maple ply panels and solid cedar bottom:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jack I agree with your take on Shopsmith tools. They have hundreds of supporters on multiple Shopsmith sites/forums. I think they are solid as a tank and will last forever...............Tim. DCP_1775.jpg
    Last edited by Tim Leiter; 06-27-2013 at 9:54 PM.
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.

Swiss Army Knife.
    Some love 'em.
    Some Don't.

10. I have had three Shopsmiths over the years and currently have a Shopsmith Mark VII in my shop now. I was given my first one, a 10ER and bought the other two a Mark V and the Mark VII I have now used. I started turning on it but found it to be too low and had to much vibration for the work I wanted to do. It can be improved by hanging heavy bags of sand from the tubes but that is a pain.

I worked with a Shopsmith for years until I was able to buy the individual tools. I paid for the individual tools with sales of items such as toys, jewelry boxes and tackle boxes I made on the Shopsmith. It has its limitations but with the accessory table system it will work fine as a table saw. I love it as a horizontal boring machine and continue to use mine for that and as a drill press. I also use it for the 12" disc sanding attachment and as a drum sander. I have a 4" jointer for mine and it is still a fine machine for small work. If you keep it aligned and recognize its limitations it is an acceptable woodworking machine.

People like to poo poo the Shopsmith but it has been a woodworking workhorse for many years. Today it is a very expensive machine and I think you can actually buy acceptable single purpose machines that will do all of the same things as a Shopsmith for the same money or less. Still the horizontal boring feature is something I like that is nearly impossible to buy for the home shop at an affordable price.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

FYI, the MK-7 uses a Teknatool DVR motor, that adds a certain amount of expense, if not value
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Jack -
    I once was talking to a professional photographer who took me down several notches. He said the difference between a pro and an amateur is the pro will show your his work, and the amateur will show you his gear. Your point that you can make quality work with what ever, is moot. The artisans from the 19th century did wonderful work with much less than a Shopsmith. I have an ivory chest set that I bought in Hong Kong in '61 that has each piece sitting on a Chinese concentric ball that was turned on a treadle lathe. Beautiful work, but not what I would want to do as a hobby. (I went down into the basement and watched them work)

If I were limited to a one car garage and my wife claimed ownership of a space to park her car, then I would settle for a Shopsmith. However, I have a three car garage that has never seen a car parked in it since we moved in. Kind of colors one's perspective.

Jack -
    I once was talking to a professional photographer who took me down several notches. He said the difference between a pro and an amateur is the pro will show your his work, and the amateur will show you his gear. Your point that you can make quality work with what ever, is moot. The artisans from the 19th century did wonderful work with much less than a Shopsmith. I have an ivory chest set that I bought in Hong Kong in '61 that has each piece sitting on a Chinese concentric ball that was turned on a treadle lathe. Beautiful work, but not what I would want to do as a hobby. (I went down into the basement and watched them work)

If I were limited to a one car garage and my wife claimed ownership of a space to park her car, then I would settle for a Shopsmith. However, I have a three car garage that has never seen a car parked in it since we moved in. Kind of colors one's perspective.
    Paul,

I guess you are fond of hyperbole unless you are more ignorant of the SS than I thought. You make a comment about the difference between a pro and an amateur, since I showed you my work (and not the tool) I guess that makes me a pro. The fact that I have produced fine furniture is not moot but speaks to the quality my tools AND my skill. What benefit do you get from referring to a SS a boat anchor? Or that you would "settle" for a SS (or is that a boat anchor?). I find your comments offensive and without merit.

My shop is 16x24.

Jack

Guys, let's keep this civil! We are talking about tools, for goodness sake - not your wive or kids. Everyone has a their favorite or their "couldn't give it to me." Let's be tolerant of the opinions of others.

We need to move on.