Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How did you get so many clamps?

1. How did you get so many clamps?

When looking at woodworking articles & videos about gluing a series of boards together, there are typically an enormous amount of clamps used, like this one: http://amzn.com/B000FA0BMW

I'm relatively new to woodworking, and am ready to start gluing, so I guess I'd better stock up on some clamps. Is there a certain brand or store you'd recommend buying clamps from? Or, any advice for a beginner regarding clamp planning?

(I have a very nice set of other tools, so I don't really want to go HF on the clamps unless those happen to be very good. It looks like clamps will be an expensive purchase, so I'd love some insight from you guys)

Blog Entries
    You never have too many clamps. Some folks go only for Bessys and other higher priced clamps and some use pipe clamps and some even get their clamps from Harbor Freight. Both get the job done and no one asks when the job is done what brand of clamps you used.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

To me a lot depends on the type of work you do and then a lot more depends on your other source of income . This is my source of income, and considering some of the clamp racks you see from parallel addicts could cost 1-2K if your going to really set yourself up with clamps you'd better get your checkbook out.

I would imagine most people start with a few, then a project comes along where you need 2 more, then another where you need 4 more, you stumble across a good sale or auction and acquire a few more, and so on. Its one of those items where if you happen to see a good deal your better off grabbing it.

We use a large variety of clamps but by far the most common clamp we use is the jorgensen HD F clamps. They are handy and economic. Im personally not a fan of parallel clamps (ie bessey) but have several. I much prefer Jet parallel clamps over bessey but only have 2 jets that were free with a tool purchase. Never saw the need to buy more. Im a fan of a good pipe clamp and if Im going to spend the money on a bessey I would by an I beam any day of the week but thats just me.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Most of my clamps came as X-mas & birthday gifts from my children – after I told them what I wanted. I’m fond of the Bessey & Quick Clamps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Most of my clamps came as X-mas & birthday gifts from my children – after I told them what I wanted. I’m fond of the Bessey & Quick Clamps.
    Drool.

I shop yard and garage sales (and the occasional online or in store sale). Clamps can really add up in $$'s.

Also keep in mind shop made clamps, if you look around there are a number of shop made solutions work pretty darn good (rope clamps, wedge clamps of various forms, etc..) and in many cases solve problems the commercial ones don't very well.

I purchased quite a few of mine for specific jobs. I was making chairs and stools for about a year and a new tool store opened nearby. I bought a dozen 24" Jorgensen parallel clamps at a super price. Years before I bought a dozen 42"? Bessey parallels for a specific job that I no longer remember. A long time ago Sam's Club had 2 packs of 24" Quick Grips very cheap. I took some of them and chopped the bar shorter to make smaller sizes. I have a huge assortment of pipe clamps, some dating back 50 or more years that belonged to my Grandfather. Same goes with 3/4" threaded pipe and couplers, never enough different sizes.

Yah nice clamps are not cheap but it does not have to be super expensive if you are not in a hurry. I got a lot of mine during sales - figure out what you are looking for (brand, style & length) then keep a sharp out for deals - when they arrive buy however much you can afford. What you need is entirely driven by what you intend to build. Clamps for chair construction (padded short reach & strap clamps) might not work well cabinet cases and visa-versa and neither good for picture frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    You never have too many clamps. Some folks go only for Bessys and other higher priced clamps and some use pipe clamps and some even get their clamps from Harbor Freight. Both get the job done and no one asks when the job is done what brand of clamps you used.
    Yeah. For smaller F type clamps, I have found the Harbor Freight models, bought on sale, work fine. I have purchased well over 50 of them to use in my high school shop class, and occasionally a student will break one by over tightening the handle and stripping the hole (in the handle); a little epoxy fixes that. I have several dozen in my shop at home and since I'm not (normally) as ham-handed as a high school student, they work fine. I think the Jorgey versions are made in China now, too.

I still prefer Jorgey pipe clamps because the fit and finish is a little better, but I will admit that I do have a few HF models bought on sale for one reason or another. They work fine. I have a few hybrids; old Sears pipe clamps with the toothed lever on the adjusting end that have worn out. I kept the threaded head, and put a HF sliding end on them. If you buy your pipe at a salvage or scrap yard, you can accumulate a bunch of pipe clamps pretty reasonably.

Blog Entries
    I'm another guy spoiled my the original Bessey K-body clamps which are sadly, no more. I'm glad I bought a bunch of them on clearance when the Revos were introduced. I do have a bunch of f-style clamps and quick-grips that always get used last, if ever, with the exception of some very deep throat ones that are used when such a beast is required.

Pipe clamps are what they are and sometimes they are just what is required. I use them only for really long clamping jobs but, they are versatile; just very heavy for most jobs. It is hard to say which clamps will be best for you as we all do different things and do them differently.

In order of frequency, I use Bessey Uni-Klamps, K-body, Mighty-minis, spring clamps (for holding things in place till I put another clamp on them) and specialty clamps (face frame, corner, strap, etc.). Your mileage will most certainly vary so start with a few and add or change as you find them acceptable or lacking.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    I think the Jorgey versions are made in China now, too.
    Not true. All our jorgensens are clearly stamped "made in the USA".

We recently had some issues with a batch of Jorgensen HD F clamps where the swivel pad would lock up and rotate with the hand screw. It was the most frustrating thing being in the midst of a 20 clamp glue up and the clamp walking itself off the piece as the pad just rotated. I got so upset I sent an email to jorgensen that night. The very next day I was working in the shop and jorgensen called the shop. They of course said it was completely unacceptable and were going to replace the clamps, then through the discussion of what seemed to be the problem, to save time and cost, he thought swapping the swivel pads may solve the problem. The next day a padded envelope of heavier swivel pads landed on Fedex. Cranked the old ones off and the new ones on and they were slick as butter.

Anyway, in the conversation he responded to a statement in my email where I hoped in chasing big box sales I hoped quality wasnt going down the tubes, and replied with something to the effect that he was in Il and "all of their clamps are made right across the street".

Another vote for the original Bessey K bodies.

I wish there would be a re-issue. I want a few more 12 and 24 inch models.

I got started with some pipe clamps and f-style Jorgensen clamps. I bought clamps on an as needed basis. I took advantage of sales. I have quite a few clamps, but nothing compared to some on this board.
    Last edited by Joe Mioux; 06-26-2013 at 5:07 PM.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

I have only ever owned bessey k-bodys and based on how well they perform I don't think I'll be trying another brand any time soon unless I get them for free. Bessey's are expensive but they will last you forever and they are the industry standard. Buy them in sets of 2 or 4 for the best deal, and use cauls to make up for the lack of clamps until you can afford the amount you want.

I have some of the revos too and don't feel that they provide any less clamping quality than the originals. I had some bessey uniklamps that were pretty sub-par in my opinion, so I would stay away from bessey's lower line, whatever they call it now.

I use LV panel clamp hardware with shop-made wood beams for panel clamping and it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Not true. All our jorgensens are clearly stamped "made in the USA".

We recently had some issues with a batch of Jorgensen HD F clamps where the swivel pad would lock up and rotate with the hand screw. It was the most frustrating thing being in the midst of a 20 clamp glue up and the clamp walking itself off the piece as the pad just rotated. I got so upset I sent an email to jorgensen that night. The very next day I was working in the shop and jorgensen called the shop. They of course said it was completely unacceptable and were going to replace the clamps, then through the discussion of what seemed to be the problem, to save time and cost, he thought swapping the swivel pads may solve the problem. The next day a padded envelope of heavier swivel pads landed on Fedex. Cranked the old ones off and the new ones on and they were slick as butter.

Anyway, in the conversation he responded to a statement in my email where I hoped in chasing big box sales I hoped quality wasnt going down the tubes, and replied with something to the effect that he was in Il and "all of their clamps are made right across the street".
    There was a recent thread at another site about this and it appears they (Jorgensen) are shifting more production to China. Not everything, but some things for sure.

Just bought them slowly over time. Usually 4 or 6 at a time, depending on the length. I mostly use 1/2" pony clamps. I have some squeeze clamps mostly 12" and 24". Very few C clamps and a few Jorgonsen's.

This is full now. And I have another 2 dozen longer clamps (5-10'ers)

no one maker makes all the types you will need and not all jobs need the top brands ether. Start with bar clamps IMO and get lots as they are use full and will last a life time. get more as you need them and the next thing you know you will have a few. Its taken me years to get what i call a fair number but i still have times when i need a clamp i do not have. I would buy used and do.

jack
    English machines