Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How did you get so many clamps?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux View Post
    Another vote for the original Bessey K bodies.

I wish there would be a re-issue. I want a few more 12 and 24 inch models.

I got started with some pipe clamps and f-style Jorgensen clamps. I bought clamps on an as needed basis. I took advantage of sales. I have quite a few clamps, but nothing compared to some on this board.
    I also wish that Bessey would re-issue the original K-body. I've got 46 of the old style Bessey's, along with 8 Gross-Stabile clamps in various sizes. I'd love to dump the GS clamps and replace them with the Bessey's. I've learned that having mixed clamps is a real pain when trying to do a glue up. That's why I am always looking on CL or Ebay for the older style Bessey clamps. Like others have said, I've accumulated my clamps over time. I started with pipe clamps and have various other styles. My "go to" clamps are the Bessey's.
    Wood'N'Scout

I have been trying to buy a clamp a month. It may not be the best way, but I can guess what I need based on the projects I have coming down the chute. My collection is growing, but still not anywhere near many of the example pics you will see.

Jack, it's interesting - I read your post and looked at your picture without seeing your name and noticed the Stenner machine in your picture. I thought to myself that there was only one person who I could think of having a machine like that from another Canadian forum, and sure enough, when I looked at the poster, it was you. I think you are becoming internet famous!

-Nate

It's not about trying to buy any clamps but buying the right clamps for what your building. Let the project dictate what clamps you need.

I personally use pipe clamps, f clamps and my go to clamps are some old Wilton bar clamps. I'd give up wood working before I would trade them for a bessy!

I haunt Craigslist, yard sales and the local flea market.

I'll pay $5 for any functioning handscrew - most of the pickers will have other things next to it, that can be bundled in.
    Most woodworkers "going out" will have more clamps than I need, but I must take them all, and dispose of the extras.

Clamps are easy to resell, if you find there are some you don't use.

The local "BoxLots" store full of Chinese over-runs recently had some F style clamps (the mechanism points toward the long axis of the clamp).
    They were priced around $7.50 each and seemed adequate. Clamps don't need to be overbuilt - if the two pieces can't be brought together by handpressure,
    the glue joint is under internal stress - no amount of clamping will help in the long run.

In short - you don't need the stoutest clamps, you need clamps that will adjust easily and can be cleaned.

I would avoid the long "sliding bar" clamps with the adjustment on top - these place tremendous bending stress on the thinnest portion of the top casting.
    I've seen too many of the castings fail at the moment of setting the clamp. It's LOUD, too.

To my great disappointment, the wooden jaw quick-action clamps seem nearly impossible to use;
    they have a smooth "spine" along their metal bar which makes adjustment fast, but slide as easily open as closed.

The cam on these should provide plenty of clamping force, but never give me the kind of squeeze out from a glue joint I was taught to make.

Oddly enough, I would take one of the quick adjustment "squeeze" clamps you find at the Big Box stores over one of those.
    These don't look like much, are ubiquitous at tag sales and can be had for little money.

Most of what I clamp is within 2" of an edge, so having a 3" throat is sufficient.

Buy them cheap, clean them up and put them to use.
    The pristine, shining as new clamps never got used for a reason...
    Last edited by Jim Matthews; 06-27-2013 at 6:24 AM.

At the risk of hijacking the thread (apologies to the OP) I'd like to ask Steve, Glenn, and Joe what it is about the original Bessey K-bodies they prefer over the new Revos. I bought the Revo's (well actually, still building my collection up) and I love them. I'm wondering what I'm missing out with the originals.

Thanks, Brian
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Ill be interested to hear as well.. I find the action on the couple Revo's I have cumbersome especially when I use them in a vertical orientation. I just find myself constantly fumbling with the hand screw getting the action to engage the bar. I'm sure it's just what I'm use to but even help in the shop complains about them. If its a paralell the jets seem to be the first ones we grab.

I buy a few at a time, mainly at Woodcraft when they have sales, or I need specific ones.

I mostly use the Jet Parallel clamps, Bessey F Clamps, and the Jorgensen pipe clamps for big jobs, specialty clamps for the other stuff.

My collection doesn't hold a candle to some of the ones shown, and I can still use more.

Clamp-Rack-for-Web---Outside-Level.jpg
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I'm pretty sure there is a conspiracy amongst the manufacturers that made sure there was some kind of sale whenever I thought I needed a clamp. seeing the sale price naturally I bought a few to finish off my clamp set. Until the next sale, and then the next etc. I don;t even know how many clamps I have now but I do know they are everywhere in the shop. I even have a 102" bar clamp......
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

As a hobbyist, I can't afford the current prices of most clamps, on sale w/ coupon or not -jorgenson, bessey, etc. I'd rather spend the money elsewhere and frankly I'm not gluing up enough pieces at a time to need as many as folks who are making a living doing this. I have just enough clamps to get the job done, but no more. I have a handful of F-style clamps in the 12-36" range, most of which were inherited from my granddad. For case work, I use 1/2" pipe clamps (e.g. Pony) or the aluminum I-bar clamps from HF (which are a great deal IMO). Just thought I'd add another perspective.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I'd like to ask Steve, Glenn, and Joe what it is about the original Bessey K-bodies they prefer over the new Revos.

Thanks, Brian
    I have the older Bessey K-bodies (maybe 20 years old) and some Jorgensen Cabinet Master's (9 years old). I've never tried the Revo's. I prefer the Jorgensens over the Bessey K's. The J's will sit parallel on a bench when close to closed, the Bessey's won't. The J's have more clamping power IMHO. I really don't like the narrow diameter handle on the Bessey's, I have to use gripper gloves to use them.

I'm going to go against the grain and say I prefer the Jet parallel clamps to my Bessey K-Bodies. I acquired a number of the Jets when Amazon and others used to put the the "cabinet door pack" (2 x 24", 2 x 40") on sale. Used to see them for $120-$150, which was a great deal, and would buy a couple sets. I found probably 3 dozen Bessey K-Bodies on craigslist ranging from 24" to 50" for an average of under $20/clamp, which was too good to pass up. But, I always reach for the Jet clamps first.

As others have said, parallel clamps aren't the only clamps you'll use. I have a half dozen 8" twin screw wood clamps, a pile of spring clamps (again, craigslist), a bunch of quick-grip clamps that are handy for quick and dirty jobs, and a couple of the 7" throat Bessey TG clamps (which are invaluable when you need that kind of depth). I also use a bunch of the Festool clamps for my MFT, and really like their "quick clamps"--I can't say the same thing about the Bessey "kwiklamps," which don't generate anywhere near the same clamping force as the Festools.

My theory is buy them as dictated by projects, but keep an eye out for sales and on craigslist. And, if any of you K-body lovers want to trade some Jets for some Besseys, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Stephens View Post
    As a hobbyist, I can't afford the current prices of most clamps, on sale w/ coupon or not -jorgenson, bessey, etc. I'd rather spend the money elsewhere and frankly I'm not gluing up enough pieces at a time to need as many as folks who are making a living doing this. I have just enough clamps to get the job done, but no more. I have a handful of F-style clamps in the 12-36" range, most of which were inherited from my granddad. For case work, I use 1/2" pipe clamps (e.g. Pony) or the aluminum I-bar clamps from HF (which are a great deal IMO). Just thought I'd add another perspective.

Sam
    Clamps are always worth the money and you can never have enough

One or two at a time usually. Which reminds me, I need to make another rack to hold the rest of my clamps.

-Alden

rsz_clampracks.jpg

To reply to this question specifically...

I bought a few Revo's a year ago and I found I hated them. I had about 12 various size K-body clamps and always loved them. I was in the middle of another project and needed more clamps (that probably helps the OP answer his question as well) so ran down to the borg as I needed them ASAP. Found the Revo's there, assumed they were the same and bought 4.

They clamped fine for me, although I have found the action on the clamp not as smooth and easy as the K-body. They seem to stick more. When I removed the clamp after the glue set, one fell to the floor and the plastic around the mouth shattered after falling from bench height to my floor. Totally unacceptable to me. It's a workshop, things get banged around. I've probably had Jorgensen and K-bodies for 15 - 20 years and never had the plastic on them break like this. So in my mind, they are cheap and I will not spend one more dollar on them.

I need 60" clamps now and have stricken Revo's from my shopping list.

As someone else said, you can't have too many clamps. That said, you can have too many of the wrong kinds of clamps. The best thing when starting out is to get clamps as you need them for projects not simply to have them.
    Most of the posts have been focusing of "F" type clamps, pipe clamps and pros and cons of different makers.
    If you really want to develop your skills, think about fabricating your own clamps.
    Consider starting out with some Cam operated "F" type clamps. You make them out of scraps and after you've done a few dozen you will be a better woodworker, you have a few dozen clamps and you have cash for other things. Make frames and use wedges. Be creative! Your inner creativity is a big part of what attracted you to woodworking in the first place.
    Also get creative with ratchet straps, and even cut up inner tubes. There are endless things that need clamping that "F" type clamps are pretty much useless for.
    Don't rely on the BORG or other retailers to have what you need. Look for plans and build exactly what you need.
    For picture framing I use one I built on a doubled sheet of 3/4" plywood that is edged on two adjacent sides with hard maple, and the opposite sides with hard maple with t-nuts for threaded rods every two inches and different length hard maple clamping boards that fit on the ends of the threaded rods. T makes it very easy to square up the frame until the mitred corners dry.
    What does it mean when you've accumulated enough tools that human life expectancy precludes you from ever getting truly good with all of them?