Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Humidity levels for my garage

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    Another Florida resident here. I have a 950SF garage/workshop, and after doing a lot of research, I have settled on the LG 42000BTU Cassette AC/Heat/Dehumidifier as part of my workshop overhaul. The outflow will mount in the ceiling from the attic over the garage, and the split outside the garage and well hidden. (My HOA will throw a fit if it is easily seen!)

Most people think that Florida is always warm, but we do see freezes in the winter, and ungodly heat and humidity in the summer. I settled on this system to insure a constant temp and humidity level that would match the house for wood that will end up there as finished products.

Here's the unit from an outlet I have trusted for years when buying large appliances...

http://www.appliancesconnection.com/...?zipcode=32909
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

"I settled on this system to insure a constant temp and humidity level that would match the house for wood that will end up there as finished products."

+1. If your projects, like most of mine, go into your house this is ideal.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    My shop sits at 10%-20% relative humidity... naturally.
    Must be nice...

I thought I would update this thread with some findings. I turned my mini split on to dehumidify mode only and even though it says it may not cool the room, the temp is sitting at 66 and the RH is at 46. Granted today was a cool day at 77 degrees.

Humidity. One other reason to keep the humidity as close to 50% or less is rust. I've got an inexpensive dehumidifier in the garage and a window unit AC above in my shop and for the past five years have kept the humidity below 53% or so and have had no rust on anything. Prior to controlling the humidity, rust would bloom annually on many of my tools.

Regarding wood: I'm working on some quarter and rift sawn oak (kiln dried) I've had it stickered in the same location for 5 yrs and it still moves around when I joint and plane it down. I've started doing it in stages so it can move a few time before I take it to final thickness and width.
    Last edited by Jim Foster; 07-04-2013 at 10:19 AM.

Somewhere around or below 20%, your health can break down. I know up here in the northeast, when the humidity gets that low in the winter, I'll get coughs, sore throats and allergy reactions I do not get any other time of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    My shop sits at 10%-20% relative humidity... naturally.