Thread: Where to buy a toothed saw plate for a backsaw build?

Where to buy a toothed saw plate for a backsaw build?

It has been decided that rather than buy another backsaw that I should build one. I am in need of a large dovetail saw for gang ripping drawer sides and dovetailing thick stock so I have targeted an 11 or 12" length.

i do not want to over complicate things and am looking for sources on toothed saw plates that I can simply tune, rather than having to cut my own teeth from scratch. I know Wenzloff has some on his site but everything is always out of stock or has a long lead time.

Where else can I find toothed saw plates for this task and other supplies necessary for a dovetail build?

thx

Shoot Ron Bontz an email. His website is here. http://www.bontzsawworks.net/

I haven't bought from him yet but he posts he, clearly knows what he is doing, is a super nice man, and I've heard all great things about his service and products.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Ron Bontz would be my suggestion as well. Next question what are you going to use for a back?
    i'd like to find a source for folded backs.
    Good, Better, Best never let it rest
    until your Good is Better and your Better is Best

Member of M-WTCA Area D

Here is a good resource;

http://www.tgiag.com/

you can contact Joe at http://www.secondchancesawworks.com/ or Matt at http://thesawblog.com/. Both are knowledgeable and good to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Dorman View Post
    i'd like to find a source for folded backs.
    Yeah me too. Thats what has been keeping me from making more saws. My hope is that if/when Wenzloff catches up on his backlog he'll be able to find a new supplier. Failing that one of use us just going to have to buy a metal brake and start up a side business just selling folded backs....the thought has crossed my mind...though I doubt it would be at all profitable, more of just a way to supply good folks with folded backs. I have no time for those shenanigans though, but if any of you retirees want to get into making folded backs I'll buy a couple.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Thank you for all the replies; I moved pretty quick with them and have a toothed plate, machined back and saw nuts on order! The only thing left to buy is wood for the tote (depending on what I find laying around my shop) and a 3/16" hole punch for the saw plate.

What kind of punch is suitable for 0.02" spring steel (cheaper is better here since this will be infrequently used) and who sells interesting blanks to use for tote material?

thanks again.
    Last edited by David Kuzdrall; 06-28-2013 at 8:51 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by David Kuzdrall View Post
    ...a 3/8" hole punch for the saw plate.
    Just in case that is not a typo, you want a 3/16" hole.

If you have a drill press, I would consider using a carbide spade drill bit. It will be cheaper than buying a punch set, and will work just as well, or better.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Smith View Post
    Just in case that is not a typo, you want a 3/16" hole.

If you have a drill press, I would consider using a carbide spade drill bit. It will be cheaper than buying a punch set, and will work just as well, or better.
    Good catch, typo indeed...3/16" it is.
    Last edited by David Kuzdrall; 06-28-2013 at 9:24 PM.