Thread: GEM Miter box??

Question GEM Miter box??

Spent $8 at a yard sale today. For a rusty, dull Disston/HK Porter backsaw, and a three piece wood itemSDC15389.jpg Don't look like much, does it? Anyway, found out that two of the wood pieces fold downSDC15390.jpg Surprise! They had wanted $10 for it, got it down to $8 There is a label of sortsSDC15391.jpg and even a ruler!SDC15392.jpg So, who, or what was GEM? Looks like the guides can be adjusted to the thickness of the saw plate, or even slid along to make a new slot? As for the saw? MEH, I have a better one in the shop now. Trying to decide what to do with the Disston/HK Porter one....

Oh and since I was out rust hunting today, found four saws SDC15385.jpg @ $0.25 each? One is another Disston/HK Porter crosscut, the rest? Just WS ones......

Check out Alaska Freezer company on dbay steve
    Good, Better, Best never let it rest
    until your Good is Better and your Better is Best

Member of M-WTCA Area D

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Dorman View Post
    Check out Alaska Freezer company on dbay steve
    Yep, or, you could search sawmillcreek...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrae Covington View Post
    The Alaska Freezer Company was based in Winchendon, Massachusetts and began in 1902. Their main line was manufacturing hand-cranked ice cream makers. After some mergers and investment groups, they still exist in some form as White Mountain Freezer.

The Gem Folding Miter Box was sold by J.C. McCarty & Co, New York at least by 1909. How and when they became associated with the Alaska Freezer Company, unfortunately I don't know.

Not sure what diameter the rod should be, but I'd just try sticking drill bits into the hole until one fits.