Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cyclone install progress

Cyclone install progress

Well I have been hard at work on the shop expansion project. All the block is layed inside an the concrete shelves are poured. The furnase has been walled off and I now have the cyclone room almost complete. I need to make a door and do some trim work and it is complete. Then I will start putting 4x8 plywood beadboard sheets on the ceiling (man does it need that.) Here are some pictures of what you do if you don't have headroom for a cyclone.

Sparky
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sparky Paessler

Sparky, that's what I call "thinking below the box" !

You have made a very professional looking installation, and will have a really great shop when you're finished.
    Bryan in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Look alive! Here comes a buzzard! -- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five. -- Groucho Marx.

Sparky,

Neat Idea! Congrats on the cyclone!

John
    Woodworking:
    "It's not just a hobby, it's an adventure."

Very nice, Sparky...of course, I'd recommend that you not fill that bin up with Ipe shavings since you have to be able to lift it out of that little, um...recess!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Now y'all got me thing about pneumatic lifts or electric hoists to lift the drum with. Guess I will have to see how hard it is.
    Sparky Paessler

Nice job! Why did you not do a remote mount of the blower and motor? That is what I would have done.

Sparky...

Nice looking setup. It's good to see that woodworking and carpentry are not necessarily mutually exclusive skill sets.

Your walls look suspiciousy like G-P Plytanium. I'm about to run on down the hill to the nearest Lowes to get the last ten sheets I will need to complete my walls (over 3/8" OSB).

If I can keep my line of vision down low for awhile, I might be able to get by without doing the ceiling until after I get the tools out from being crammed together into the center of the shop (so I could work on the wiring, insulation OSB and now the beaded pine panels).

And then there is the floor, I been thinking about pine there too.

...Bob

Looks good, Buddy!

My garage has reached a point of it being time to drag the mostly completed cyclone out of its storage corner in the shed! maybe....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

hi sparky

I have an onieda cyclone with a cartridge filter setup. I had thought about mounting it as you have ( horizontal ) but worried that the lighter chips and dust would settle on the "bottom of the filter unit". I can tell you that I mounted it vertical instead and I think for my system it was a better choice. The onieda unit has a removable bucket at the bottom of the cartridge that will actually fill up in a matter of weeks. If my filter was laying on the side I think that half of it would get plugged up with the chips and such. Have you given any thought to this? Are there others who mount their filters laying on their sides and have had no problems. Just a word of caution.

regards
    lou

lou
    I think that vertical mounting would be better but because of how my space is layed out I thought that I would try it. I have seen pictures of other peoples filters mounted this way. If it gets to be a problem I might try building a box around the filters and blowing the air from the outside of the filter to the inside. that way the dust might collect in the bottom of the box.

Bob

That is 3/8" bead board from HD. I just picked up enough sheets to do the entire ceiling of the shop and finally cover up all that insulation. Will post pictures when done.

Mike

I though about mounting it remotely but there was not really a good place to do it that did not involve just as much work as where I put it. I was already digging out about 300sf of crawlspace for more shop room anyway.

SP
    Last edited by Sparky Paessler; 05-24-2005 at 9:40 PM.
    Sparky Paessler

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky Paessler
    Now y'all got me thing about pneumatic lifts or electric hoists to lift the drum with. Guess I will have to see how hard it is.
    Harbor Freight has a nice little manual winch they sell for about $15 on sale. You could put a square piece of plywood under the bin with chains coming up from each corner to ring that you could hook with the winch. I mounted one of them to the rafter in my old shop to hoist my blower and other heavy stuff up there and it worked like a champ.

Chris

Does your shop remodel project seem like it will never end! My seems that way but there is a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. I did take time off today to turn a couple of bowls.

SP
    Sparky Paessler

But Matt then I wouldn't get to play with an electric winch .
    Sparky Paessler

I wouldn't mess with electric. You really NEED to use hydraulics. Perhaps some sort of lift, like they use for cars?

That sure is a neat idea! That drum may be a challange to move out. I like the idea of an electric winch. Mount it on a peice of plywood with casters. That way you can wheel the bin over to the right, then winch it on out. Then when it is high enought you can roll it to whereever you want to dump it.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"