Thread: New tool handle safe, or start over?

New tool handle safe, or start over?

I ordered the Easy Wood Tools full size rougher without a handle, turned a new handle for it, test fit it dry, and assumed any excess epoxy would be able to squeeze out the gap from where the inserted section is flattened, rather than round. Had I used CA glue, this would likely have been the case. I didn't think I used an excessive amount of epoxy, but when I went to insert the tool it started getting difficult with about 1/2" to go, but I was getting the expected squeeze out from the gap I mentioned. So, I carefully applied clamping pressure down the length of the tool (with the cutter blade removed before this all started), which got the tool within 1/8" gap of fully seating (again, with more squeeze out), and at this point it refused to budge any further. I applied the maximum pressure I was comfortable with, but the think the epoxy had set up enough that it was done moving.

And therein lies my dilemma....why it is unsightly and will always frustrate me, does the fact the tool isn't fully seated in the handle materially impact its usability/stability? It is a rougher with an 8" reach, so it is going to see some real stresses, but I not sure that 1/8 an inch is really a big deal at that location. The shoulders on this are pretty small as well, so their loss probably doesn't cost much in stability. Or, am I kidding myself because I don't want to have to deconstruct the handle and start over.

I can post a picture, but the short version is the tool is 1/8" shy of seating fully in the handle, and I'd like some advice/opinions from other turners on whether it is okay to use it anyway.

Help always appreciated.
    Scott Haddix

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" - Author Unknown

Scott, I doubt the extra 1/8" makes any difference, but the important questions would be whether you have plenty of wood in the fore end of the handle and whether you installed a ferrule.

In the future, it takes very little glue - all you are doing is preventing the tool from twisting in the handle as all the force against the tool is pushing the tool into the handle. I apply a little to the shaft of the tool on the last 1/2" or so when it is being inserted. This alleviates the piston problem you have with the glue probably collecting in the bottom of the hole and not fully squeezing out.

Thanks for the feedback. I modeled this on the EWT pro handle and have plenty of wood in the fore end and a thick brass ferrule. The handle is a little oversized and long, given the plans to use it deep in bowls and HFV's. I'll remember to easy up on the epoxy/glue going forward.
    Scott Haddix

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" - Author Unknown

I agree with John. On top of that, the EWT Rougher is a flat tool, so there shouldn't be any lateral torque put on the tool. Make sure you have a ferrule and start turning.