Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National Symposium 2013

National Symposium 2013

So I just wanted to start a little thread for anyone who cared to share their experiences with the rest of the community here about what they experienced at the symposium.

I'll start

Originally I had planned to have three pieces specifically for the instant gallery, time ran short on me with my move and shop build. Instead of stressing it, I decided that since this one was so close to home that I would attend my first symposium only for fun.

Within the first fifteen minutes I had met John Beaver, and had a brief but great conversation, I then went to the instant gallery and looked at all of the great work that was brought out. (I didn't take any photos, I know shame on me.) I couldn't afford the weight of the camera, as I was planning on hauling everything I could carry and then some out of the vendors area.

There was some really impressive work, Cynthia and Michael Gibson's work is unbelievable in person. John Beaver's bowls, and their construction are marvels of engineering and art. I got to see one of Alan Carter's pieces in person, and it was beautiful and well executed. I wish I could have remembered every artist's name there were just too many amazing works.

Binh Pho's works were interesting to see, I love the piercing and the multimedia pieces I found interesting. All of it was beautiful just not exactly my cup of tea. His negative space work as well as his piercing is flawless.

David Ellsworth's works were very cool to see, especially some of his smaller vessels. Perfect forms, with tiny openings. It's nice to finally see the work of a master.

Everywhere I turned there was something of interest. (very punny, I know)

I then went and spent way too much money on tools from Doug Thompson (who I've waited a long time to shake hands with.) Doug the new "personalized" 3/4" Lathe Master handle is perfect with my SRG on it! (It's not "Creek Appropriate" but Doug made a copy for himself )

I managed to take care a whole bunch of tooling issues that I needed to take care of. I also got a chance to go back on Saturday and spend some time with John Beaver we talked a great deal about color, and I took the opportunity on Saturday to get a critique from John about a couple of my pieces. (neither of which I have posted yet, I'm working on it.) Needless to say I think we both walked away with some homework to do, regarding light fastness, dye's, inks, acrylics etc. As well as some fresh ideas.

John it was a pleasure to talk with you, and hopefully we can do it again soon.

All in all, I had a great time at the symposium. It was very interesting for me to get to view other turner's works in person, as well as get some good feedback about where I am in the whole picture. I hope everyone left with similar experiences.

Please feel free to share your experiences here, or comment on mine.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Markham View Post
    So I just wanted to start a little thread for anyone who cared to share their experiences with the rest of the community here about what they experienced at the symposium.

I'll start

Originally I had planned to have three pieces specifically for the instant gallery, time ran short on me with my move and shop build. Instead of stressing it, I decided that since this one was so close to home that I would attend my first symposium only for fun.

Within the first fifteen minutes I had met John Beaver, and had a brief but great conversation, I then went to the instant gallery and looked at all of the great work that was brought out. (I didn't take any photos, I know shame on me.) I couldn't afford the weight of the camera, as I was planning on hauling everything I could carry and then some out of the vendors area.

There was some really impressive work, Cynthia and Michael Gibson's work is unbelievable in person. John Beaver's bowls, and their construction are marvels of engineering and art. I got to see one of Alan Carter's pieces in person, and it was beautiful and well executed. I wish I could have remembered every artist's name there were just too many amazing works.

Binh Pho's works were interesting to see, I love the piercing and the multimedia pieces I found interesting. All of it was beautiful just not exactly my cup of tea. His negative space work as well as his piercing is flawless.

David Ellsworth's works were very cool to see, especially some of his smaller vessels. Perfect forms, with tiny openings. It's nice to finally see the work of a master.

Everywhere I turned there was something of interest. (very punny, I know)

I then went and spent way too much money on tools from Doug Thompson (who I've waited a long time to shake hands with.) Doug the new "personalized" 3/4" Lathe Master handle is perfect with my SRG on it! (It's not "Creek Appropriate" but Doug made a copy for himself )

I managed to take care a whole bunch of tooling issues that I needed to take care of. I also got a chance to go back on Saturday and spend some time with John Beaver we talked a great deal about color, and I took the opportunity on Saturday to get a critique from John about a couple of my pieces. (neither of which I have posted yet, I'm working on it.) Needless to say I think we both walked away with some homework to do, regarding light fastness, dye's, inks, acrylics etc. As well as some fresh ideas.

John it was a pleasure to talk with you, and hopefully we can do it again soon.

All in all, I had a great time at the symposium. It was very interesting for me to get to view other turner's works in person, as well as get some good feedback about where I am in the whole picture. I hope everyone left with similar experiences.

Please feel free to share your experiences here, or comment on mine.
    beautiful and exciting experience .. before I die I want to participate in a your symposium .. congratulations ..

Rick,

I am sorry I did not get to meet you. There were many faces that I did get to put with names. But sadly I got food poisoning on Saturday which curtailed much of my available time at the symposium.

There were many familiar names that got awards during the show. Mike and Cynthia Gibson got and award of excellence along with a critique for one of their tea pots. John Beaver got a critique for his bowl that looked like a Japanese rice paper wall, Andy DiPietro Got an award of excellence along with a critique for his latest sculptural piece. Rick Crawford got a critique for his unique shell fragment pieces. Lars Stole got a award of excellence and a critique for a combination turned sculptural piece. Darrell Copeland got a critique for one of his new pieces. Alan Carter got a critique for one of his unique works.

I had the best show I have ever had. I got an award of excellence for "Simplicity" and a critique. I sold all of my pieces that I brought to the show. My little boy won a lathe and all the tooling. Besides the food poisoning It does not get any better.

I do wish I had gotten to meet more folks during the weekend. Now I have to drive back home. About 1200 miles.

Alan

good symposium , good instant gallery, many good rotations......i have the drive myself.....but next week

It was great seeing familiar faces, as well as the graybeards newly met. Lauren and I had a fine time, and hope the folks who attended our demos enjoyed them as much as we did. The feedback we received was lovely (and someone bought one of our instant gallery pieces... A nice bonus)

Although totally unanticipated, I think the highlight for me was getting to know the turners with physical challenges. Andi, Dennis, Tony and Adam had a very interesting panel discussion about overcoming their challenges (two turn from their wheelchairs, and two are blind). Talking with them, and watching them turn in the Robust booth was a real pleasure. Great people. There were even some visitors from Lighthouse for the Blind who got to experience woodturned pieces, and try their hand at turning.

Oh, and Lauren and the other women she spoke to noted (with delight) that there was never a line to the ladies' room...
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

I was there with 2 others from my club from Phoenix to start getting the lay of the land for next year. It was my first national symposium, so I was a little like a kid at Disneyland for the first time. I got to meet several people I have previously "met" online, and got to say hello again to several others. I even got a few very nice compliments from some people who's opinions I value very highly.

I even got the chance to sit in on a few rotations, and came back with more ideas than I can keep straight.

This was my second symposium. I stand in awe at the works in the gallery, the expertise of the demonstrators,..... It is most interesting to listen to their journeys.

Alan & Lauren did a superb demo to a packed house even though it was 8 am on Saturday. I can't wait for part II.

This was my first AAW Symposium and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Here are a few quick observations: -just no way to attend all of the demos I wanted to and missed some good ones - some of the outstanding ones included David Marks, Mark Gardner, Keith Tompkins, and Trent Bosch. -Wish I could have attended Nick Agar. Glenn Lucas, Mike Mahoney and many more. -the gallery was unbelievable and the photos you see can't match seeing the pieces in person. -was determined not to spend money at the trade show and spent about $250 and now wish I had gotten a few more things. -it was really terrific seeing so many people I've met through the years at regional symposiums or classes and some of the pros like Jimmy Clewes, Molly Winton, Joe Hermann and others. -it was somewhat funny seeing long lines in front of men's rest rooms during the breaks and no lines in front of the women's, -the AAW's "handout book" is far beyond what one could ever expect. Again 1st class. -very cool to see the kids lined up for the youth lessons. -wonder how many others had a confirmation at Embassy Suites for $139 but was charged $149 and told it was for a room upgrade that they claim I requested on the internet. Never requested an upgrade but didn't feel like arguing and just wanted to get on the road. -glad I was on the 18th floor of the Embassy and couldn't hear too much of the party going on down below. That bass player was laying down a rock solid groove! -all of the volunteers deserve a big thank you for an outstanding job. -looking forward to next year.
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

It was my second symposium and even better than the first. The reason was because of the folks I met, some of whom I have had correspondence with or other interaction. I carpooled with two other turners for the seven plus hour drive from Atlanta and the time flew by. Some demos were better than others but most were entertaining or information and some both. Fabulous to see the speed at which Glen Lucas can turn a bowl blank into a bowl. I participated in a turning swap that WOW had and got a wonderful little hollow form by Mollie Winton.
    God is great and life is good!

I was told to expect standing room only and was pleased to find decent seating at most of the demonstrations I went to . Charlie is about the only one I saw from here other than Michael and Cynthia whom I talked to only quickly at one of their demos. I mainly went to demos on 'embellishment' and I guess they were not quite as well attended. I broght two pieces for the 'empty bowls' and they sold. Being a Viet Nam vet, that is a charity close to my heart.

I Volunteered with the youth turners for a couple of sessions - that was fun. I Brought my grandson who thoroughly enjoyed the youth sessions - about 6 of them! - not so much the demos - and was absolutely thrilled to take home a lathe and tools.

Looking forward to NC symposium in November, they do a bi-annual show and do a great job.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Rick, it was great to meet you too. I really enjoyed seeing your work in person.

As Rick and I were talking, Ray Leir from Del Mano Gallery stopped by and I showed him Rick's work. He was extremely complimentary of Rick's work, and asked to see more of it. Congrats Rick !!!

The AAW really does a great job putting these symposiums on, with a very small staff and tons of volunteers. I commend everyone who helped out.
    The galleries are always inspiring, and you will learn something from every demo you attend. For me the best part is catching up with friends I have met over the years.

If you've never been to one I highly recommend going. Every day there are 4 rotations with about 10 demonstrations per rotation. (some are repeated a few times so you can usually see everyone you want). The Instant Gallery has hundreds (maybe 1000's) of pieces on display, the two AAW galleries are spectacular, and the vendor room is a great place to get discounts on tools and lighten your wallet.

To further Alan Trout's comments, there is a team chosen to go around the Instant Gallery and pick their favorite pieces to critique in front of a large audience. It is an honor and an award to be chosen for the IG Critique, and SMC members were well represented this year. Listening to a respected artist, collector and gallery owner talk about why they like different pieces is one of the highlights of the event for me. Getting chosen with Alan, and everyone else, was a real thrill. (look for my piece in an upcoming post)

This year I took my family, and my kids did two rotations in the Youth Turning Room. Seeing 25 kids ranging from 7-17 all in the same room working on lathes is just awesome.

For those who are interested, I'm seriously considering doing a demo on my "wave" bowls at next years symposium in Phoenix. I hope to see a lot of you there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

Stop considering it and just do it! Your pieces are fascinating, and it was great to get to meet you. Since I was volunteering in the vendor area, I got to spend quite a bit of time there and in the instant gallery. Every time I was near the Ruth Niles co-op there was a discussion (and sometimes a little heated) about how you did the wave bowl with the recessed wave. It was great!

John, some demonstrators are "invited", and then there is a general call for topics, where anyone can submit their demonstration proposals. So keep your eyes open for the call for topics deadlines. I would be happy to see you demonstrate.

I would have loved to have gotten to meet all of you. This year caught me right in the middle of some big "projects" that had to take priority.

Alan, we will have to make sure that changes next year! I'm looking forward to the next one.

John, It was cool to meet Ray and hear his thoughts on my work via you. Tell him sorry I was yelling at the deaf guy... "WOODTURNERS FINISH!"
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

I send down for the day. Like others have said the instant gallery was incredible! I was surprised to recognize as many pieces of work as I did. I spent a few dollars at the vendor area, and all was on wood. Life has been a little to hectic to stay more than one day. I think I took a total of 5 pictures while I was there, but did see my mug in a picture on the AAW Facebook page with Nick Cook. Hope to go again and sit in on some classes.