Thread: Reliant DD 34 Shaper Questions

Reliant DD 34 Shaper Questions

I was given a Reliant DD34 shaper. It is in good condition and has worked fine testing it with some large Router bits. Although it is working fine now, I have not been able to locate a replacement drive belt for it , so I have a spare. I also wonder if it is the correct belt. The belt size printed on it is K-23. I think it would be considered a 1/4" v belt, it measures about 5/16" at the top of the belt. The drive pulley on the spindle is made for a vbelt, but the pulley on the motor is flat, since the motor pulley is flat the v does not stay lined up in the v pulley. one of the wider faces ride flat on the flat pulley and twists the belt so it is riding in the v pulley oriented about 45 degrees from where it should. It works okay like this but it does not appear to be correct. So my questions are, is this the correct belt? Where can I purchase replacemt belts for it?
    Also the fence mechanism is the worst piece of machine work I have ever seen, and barely works. I have seen online an ACCURA fence but cannot tell much from the pictures as to whether they are well made and work smoothly. Does any one have any experience with the ACCURA shaper fence and does it work well?
    One last question. Does anyone have a link to the manual online? It seems simple enough, but I may need it for something in the future?
    Kirtland Brown

Any chance you could replace the motor pulley with a V belt pulley, or is it flat for a reason? I'd think you could get that belt at a bearings belts & drives type place is you have such an place locally. If not, a web site like McMaster.com or Grainger might be helpful. Or google something like V belts and see what comes up.

some machines have a flat pully on the motor so that the spindle can raise or lower. Any pictures?

I had a small Jet shapper with a similar arrangement. The flat pulley is because the motor is fixed so the belt needs to ride up and down on pulley as the spindle moves up and down.

You might try someplace like Motion Industries or Applied Industrial Technologies for belts. They can probably help determine if that's the correct cross section if you can take them the v-pulley.

You might want to give Accura a call. They still sell that machine which they call the "drinking fountain". I'd bet that they have belts, etc in stock. They should also be able to tell you which fence ( I think they have three) would be the best upgrade.

Reliant was a brand sold by Woodworkers Warehouse that went south in 1990's. I used to sell them and I wasn't impressed with their quality at all. Customers used to tell me they got their replacement belts at auto parts stores.
    That was a while ago and I'm not sure if reliant is still being sold by another vendor.

Thanks for the response. As Matt Meiser stated: "The flat pulley is because the motor is fixed so the belt needs to ride up and down on pulley as the spindle moves up and down." I"ll try
    Motion Industries or Applied Industrial Technologies for belts. I haven't seen an auto belt listed that small, although I should ask at the local auto parts store.