Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soliciting design ideas

Soliciting design ideas

I rarely buy wood............most of mine is harvested or given to me. There is the occasional exception however.........as evidenced in this picture.

IMGP4007.jpg

What I have here is a piece of claro walnut, approx. 6"x6"x4", a piece of yellowheart 6x6x2, and a piece of purpleheart approx. 5x5x3. I have had two pieces for over 2 years and the claro for almost two years........the reason I have not turned anything as of yet with them is that I simply did not know what I wanted to do with them.....what type of form and until I got it straight in my mind, I was not about to take a chance on messing up wood that I paid good money for!

That brings me to my asking for design ideas...........I know that I do not want to make a simple bowl.........perhaps a vessel with lid.......the contrasting colors of either the claro or purpleheart would really show off that yellowheart if it were a lid of some sort.

I am just not sure, so I thought I would take a pic of the blanks and ask for some ideas from the turners here on what you think would be a really good form for these......either two pieces of contrasting wood on a single form or even 3 separate forms......

I want to get a number of ideas, and perhaps if one or two really strike my fancy, then I might name it after the person who suggested it and certainly give them credit for their inspiration here on SMC and a couple of other forums.

Fire away folks!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Sorry I can't be much help Roger. But that's why I never buy much wood either. I can never think of what to do with those size and shaped chunks. I kind of wonder why they always cut them like that. Square edged bowls, plain bowls, shallow hollowforms. The claro piece has the most opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    Sorry I can't be much help Roger. But that's why I never buy much wood either. I can never think of what to do with those size and shaped chunks. I kind of wonder why they always cut them like that. Square edged bowls, plain bowls, shallow hollowforms. The claro piece has the most opportunities.
    Bummer! I would have loved to hear an idea from you........you are right about those "chunks" as they sometimes limit the possibilities!

Use claro for the vessel 6" diameter - yellow heart lid as suggested should work. Cut the purpleheart into a 3x3x5 and a 2x3x5 and cut the 2x3x5 into two pieces about 1 1/2x2x5 for finials. Make a goblet or box from the 3x3x5 piece.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    Use claro for the vessel 6" diameter - yellow heart lid as suggested should work. Cut the purpleheart into a 3x3x5 and a 2x3x5 and cut the 2x3x5 into two pieces about 1 1/2x2x5 for finials. Make a goblet or box from the 3x3x5 piece.
    Thanks Thom for your input!

The thought had crossed my mind for a four winged bowl from the claro.......with the wings turned downward and a domed lid with a finial...........

A couple of years ago, or so, John Keeton emailed me a drawing of something similar with the purpleheart, but at the time, I did not know if I could pull off his design.....it was fairly elaborate for my skill level at the time...........I don't think it would be a problem now with the knowledge and tools I have now that I did not possess back then.

Still, I am not sure that is the way I want to utilize the pieces..........so I am certainly open to suggestions.

If you haven't try some square bowls and their variations of course. It's a whole new world and skillsets.

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    If you haven't try some square bowls and their variations of course. It's a whole new world and skillsets.
    Thanks for the suggestion Robert........I appreciate your input. I have done 3 or 4 square bowls............my doctor has one out of walnut, and he mentioned to me last week how much his wife likes it..........they have it prominently displayed in their home.......even though I gave it to him for his office desk.......he said things he cares about are safer at his house than the big office complex!

Blog Entries
    I dunno. My way of doing things won't help ya. I make up my mind on a bowl or HF. Then I just start cutting away.... I let the wood 'speak' to me. LOL

I understand the reluctance to use the wood though. My Father-in-Law gave me a piece of Teak, 8"x1.5"x24" about 5 years ago. That stuff is so expensive I just have not had any project jump out at me to say, "Use the Teak!"
    Have a Nice Day!

For quite a while I have wanted to make a lidded curved wing bowl/box, with the wings curved down for the feet and also wings curved up on the lid. The lid and wings would be proportionally smaller. Then I would remove one of the bowl's wings, and then remove three of the lids wings. The remaining wing on the lid would be lined up where the wing is missing on the bowl. I will make sure when I choose which wings to remove. that I maintain the grain matching like with a box. The lid will be a loose fit so the lid's wing can be used as a handle to raise the lid. I thought of this when I looked at some the winged bowls of Terry something from New Zealand, I'm sorry I cant remember his name right now, he is a terrific artist. I have been holding off trying this till I have better equipment and better skills, I now have adequate equipment so I will soon be trying to develops the skills with some lessor wood until I am ready to try my 80.00 dollar chunk of walnut burl.

Phil Harris

Roger, take a visit to Natural Bridge, see if you get any inspiration there, you might expand your form from that experience

12. Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    Roger, take a visit to Natural Bridge, see if you get any inspiration there, you might expand your form from that experience
    Its been a few years since I have been to Natural Bridge.......the boys were still in school.....has to have been 17 or 18 years ago...........drive by it fairly often on my way to Roanoke. Are you referring to the natural arch in the bridge itself, or some other feature there?

This is only my opinion: I find purpleheart hard (no pun intended) to take in big doses. I find it most appealing on smaller items like pens or handles. If it were me, I'd make that blank into small pen or knife handle blanks. It's density makes it also appropriate (IMHO) for a striking mallet head.

Each one of these woods is striking in their own right. My bias is not to mix them.

Here is an idea for the walnut and yellow heart. Could even combine with Prashun's idea of using the purple heart for a knob for the lid.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...4&d=1329786088
    John Altberg

frrom the drive down to natural bridge, anything along the way that catches your eye, the area around natural bridge, natural bridge itself, you might take a camera, be sure to look at the clouds