Thread: You never know whats under the grime

You never know whats under the grime

You never know whats under the rust and grime. I bought this 10" Disston backsaw a while back on FleaBay for about $20.00 including shipping. I've had it hanging near a couple other Disston backsaws since I got it. I finally got around to cleaning it up today and what a nice surprise. The handle looks like apple but it has "tiger" stripes. I probably have about 25 Disston saws, 5 of them backsaws, but this is the best looking handle of the bunch. Enjoy.

Vince in NC
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vince Sandy; 05-22-2005 at 8:42 PM.

wow...

what did you do to get the steel to shine like that? I have a couple of backsaws that have turned dark brown to black. I need to clean it up, but I'm not sure what to do.

Vince, it looks wonderful! The blade cleaned up wonderfully.

Above all that handle looks perfect!!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Tim,

For cleaning saw blades, I use wet/dry sand paper on a felt backed sanding block lubricated with mineral spirits. The amount of rust determines which grit to begin with. I usually start with 220. This saw was covered in minor surface rust so I spent only a minute or so on each side using a fresh sheet of paper for each side. I then switched to 320 grit to finish. I have gone all the way to 600 grit on a few saws but it doesn't seem to make much difference with any grit over 400.

After the sanding is finished and the mineral spirits are wiped away a film will be left after the steel drys. I wipe it away thoroughly and then finish with a couple of coats of paste wax.

For the wood, I use a mixture of turpentine, lemon oil, and bees wax. I usually squirt Formby's lemon oil into bolt holes and other hard-to-get-to places. I let it soak a few minutes then wipe away the excess with cotton swabs, paper towels, and whatever else I can manage to squeeze in those tight spots. I usually finish the wood with at least two coats of paste wax.

Vince