Thread: Federal Reserve Bank of Boston Exhibit

Federal Reserve Bank of Boston Exhibit

I'm fortunate to have a couple of pieces of recent work on display at one of the most secure galleries around. The Federal Reserve bank of Boston has anfedresshow_(1_of_1).jpg exhibition space which now has on display work from students (of which I am fortunate to be one) and alumni from Boston's North Bennet Street School. While the exhibit does not get a lot of exposure to the general public due to security measures in the building, it is seen by many who work there or attend conferences and other events at the Fed. The exhibit is open to the public on Mondays during the day... I believe from 10 or 11 until 3pm.

The tool chest is South American mahogany with curly maple drawers. The beautiful mahogany in the chest and the drawer fronts came from Irion Lumber and the solid crotch panel in the lid came from rare Woods in Mexico, Maine. Finish is shellac following treatment with potassium dichromate.

The braced comb back Windsor chair was made using the methods of Curtis Buchanan and is oak above the seat and maple below the seat, all worked green. The finish is black milk paint over red milk paint, followed by watco oil and wax. First Windsor chair I ever made, in fact the first chair I ever made.

The exhibit runs from now until early September.

I have a gallery with more pictures of all the work on display on my facebook page if you are interested.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger Myers; 07-03-2013 at 8:02 PM.

Just beautiful. Wish I was able to see it in person!
    Fred

I agree w/ Fred, I think I'm missing a lot from viewing just a photograph. The chest is really just awesome work.

The chest is nice.

The chair is magnificent.
    You're getting the most from your tuition.

Is the new building finished at NBSS?

Thanks for the comments...
    The new building is nearing completion... When classes resume in September it will be in the new spaces. I was in the new building a couple of weeks ago and it is really coming along, but still so much to do. Was at the current building yesterday and most everything on the 4th floor is packed and waiting for movers.
    It will be very strange to be in a new space, but will be great to have all the programs under one roof, and some real practical improvements as well. The fact that they were able to accomplish this and stay in the North End of Boston is remarkable.

I just visited North Bennet Street School 3-4 weeks ago for a tour (6/11). It was kind of a rushed whirlwind tour but was very cool. I did get a few T-shirts but the gift shop was closed. Neat place. Guess you guys are getting a new building too - A LOT LARGER building from what they said.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Beautiful work. Wonderful finish too, that wood just glows.

Rick Potter

Very well done.
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Congratulations on having your beautiful work displayed.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Roger, how are you enjoying the program? The new building will be great. When I took a workshop we were in the basement and it served its purpose. Looking at the 4th floor and how you needed to move from room to room as you progressed through the program didnt seem like the best. More space will be a great addition. I hope to take a workshop this fall.
    Don

I'm on vacation now between the first and second year of the program. It has met my expectations so far and I fully expect it will continue to do so. I had a fair amount of experience going into the program, and I had made the decision to, in effect, suspend that knowledge in order to be able to absorb all the information in the way the school teaches it. This has proven to be the right decision for sure! No matter your level of experience, you will learn something new every day.
    If you are expecting to find all new equipment and tools, this is not the school,for you. If you are not a self motivated person, this is not the school for you. But, if you are looking to learn from some of the very best teachers in the craft, and select projects (after the 1st year basic requirements) that will build your skill set, and you are willing to put the hours and effort in, then, there is no better school around.

It is expensive, and the days are long (I commute from NH), but it is worth every penny and minute, in my opinion. I certainly have no regrets at all!

Roger