Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Tote for Veritas Low-Angle Jack

Quote Originally Posted by David Barnett View Post
    Too damned old to know what an X-man or X-men is or are, that's for sure. At my age, I don't even buy green bananas.
    I'm actually not even entirely sure what the singular for X-men is. Is a member of the X-men an X-man/X-women? Perhaps one just calls oneself an X-men or "one of the X-men" an leaves it in the plural. One of life's great mysteries. Maybe I can find a forum for comic book geeks and post the question there...
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

There's also ALF's approach which involves tapping a hole for a second bolt in the front of the tote.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

The new set from Bill Rittner - first impression is that the fit is good for me, but I have not used it for an extended time yet. Bill's front knob is smaller in diameter than the original, not yet sure which I prefer.

And next to LN:

That tote looks like a really nice improvement for those of us who prefer the stanley style over the LV. The knob looks nice but I'm not sure which I would prefer either. I am a big fan of the Veritas mushroom knob. Very cool though...looks great and looks quite comfy.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Chris, the rear tote is a worthwhile improvement for me, it felt right immediately and even after a couple of short sessions. I agree on the Veritas mushroom knob - brilliant shape. The Bill Rittner set is smoother than the Veritas but that's what you'd expect with the amount of hand work he puts into them. I really love the cherry as well, like my LN LA Jack Rabbet.
    The Veritas LAJ is an excellent plane that I've made a bit more comfortable for my grip.

I guess I'm the more odd. I not only like the look of my Veritas planes but I vastly prefer the totes as they come from the factory. LN grips are way too thin and squirrel about in my hand as it gets sweaty. Stanley grips tend to give me a bone bruise - the whole force seems to reside at the hump which is where a small bone in my hand seems to be. Anyway, the Veritas totes are the only ones that fit in my apparently larger than usual hands. Odd, because their saw grips are way too small.

Yeah. I like the looks too and I also like the girth of the totes. I just prefer something with a little more curve (I like the hump as it sorta fills my palm) and I like something with more lean forward. I really like the tote on the small plow actually too its got a little more curve to it than the BU jack and more lean (i think its the same tote as the small BU smoother too)

You certainly can't be that odd though Curt. LV wouldn't have kept making those totes like that all these years if there weren't a large number of people who really like them.

Peter, thanks for the report. I think for my hands that tote would be an improvement too. I get along well enough with the stock tote that I haven't bother buy one though...I should just cough up the $45, I think I would like Bill's. The cherry does look lovely, I'll go walnut though if I get one...just because I love me some walnut.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 08-18-2013 at 4:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    All the afore mentioned experience with plane totes seems like the best reason for one to make an attempt at holding or using any maker's plane(s) before purchasing.

There seems to be some differences caused by bench height and personal hand mechanics having an influence on what will feel "right" in one's hands.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    All the afore mentioned experience with plane totes seems like the best reason for one to make an attempt at holding or using any maker's plane(s) before purchasing.

There seems to be some differences caused by bench height and personal hand mechanics having an influence on what will feel "right" in one's hands.

jtk
    It certainly would be nice Jim but I really have no idea how I would ever go about having the chance to hold a Veritas plane before purchasing it. And I am not really into the camp of buying something to try out and returning it unless there is something seriously wrong with it mechanically. Although it seems as though some companies do promote this, it just feels odd to me.

Veritas totes were supposedly researched heavily on ergonomics before actually putting them out. I personally don't get blisters and find them terribly uncomfortable but I do think they are ugly. I find the LN tote much more comfortable and aesthetically much more pleasing compared to LV. I haven't coughed up the $ for the Rittner replacements yet as I find them still functional. Some day I will though as I really like the looks of the cherry on that plane.

Veritas saw handles are a different story. While I don't care for the looks of their saws, the handles are shaped extremely comfortable for my hand. They are perfectly shaped and I could walk around holding the saw all day long, it just feels like it belongs there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    It certainly would be nice Jim but I really have no idea how I would ever go about having the chance to hold a Veritas plane before purchasing it. And I am not really into the camp of buying something to try out and returning it unless there is something seriously wrong with it mechanically. Although it seems as though some companies do promote this, it just feels odd to me.

Veritas totes were supposedly researched heavily on ergonomics before actually putting them out. I personally don't get blisters and find them terribly uncomfortable but I do think they are ugly. I find the LN tote much more comfortable and aesthetically much more pleasing compared to LV. I haven't coughed up the $ for the Rittner replacements yet as I find them still functional. Some day I will though as I really like the looks of the cherry on that plane.

Veritas saw handles are a different story. While I don't care for the looks of their saws, the handles are shaped extremely comfortable for my hand. They are perfectly shaped and I could walk around holding the saw all day long, it just feels like it belongs there.
    Living deep in LN country may make for few Veritas planes in your area. Still, their might be one or two Creekers in your area with one they would let others test drive.

The problem with ergonomics is it runs on the path of "statistical norms." Bench height, hand size and in my case injuries all come into play. We tend to develop our own style of holding tools in ways which are comfortable for each of us as individuals.

In many cases we see ergonomics tossed out the window. Over the years of watching ebay there have been what looks like broom handle replacements for broken totes and saw handles. They may have been comfortable enough for one owner.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

11. Quote Originally Posted by David Barnett View Post
    Too damned old to know what an X-man or X-men is or are, that's for sure. At my age, I don't even buy green bananas.
    My eldest son recently took a job in Naples. I recently visited and spent a few days. What a beautiful area. I'd never been south of St. Pete on the Gulf side. As to your green bananas comment, I cannot image they fly off Publix shelves down there.

Blog Entries
    As to your green bananas comment, I cannot image they fly off Publix shelves down there.
    Met a woman in the market recently who was upset that there weren't any green bananas. For me a little on the green side is preferred for eating. My wife likes them on the "too ripe for me" side.

jtk

Maybe she wanted platinos or plantain bananas, which are green and have a variety of ways to serve such as frying. Kinds of sounds like tools which come in a variety of styles and makes and from which we can pick and choose to suit our styles and tastes. Isn't it wonderful! For planes I prefer LN but Lee Valley get a lot of my money too. Speaking of different options, I did get a #3 Wood River just out of curiosity, and it is a pretty good plane also.
    Old age can be better than the alternative.