Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evolution of Revelation: "Awakening"

Evolution of Revelation: "Awakening"

This was a piece I turned as a final project for my design class. Our project outline was merely that we create something that was a "creative color wheel" in that it must use all twelve colors of the color wheel. Well naturally, I had to turn and dye something! This is the first emotional painting I have done on my work using my signature dyeing process. This is one of the two pieces I took to show John Beaver at the Symposium, it is only right I show this to the creekers too!

This is a small Maple burl form with African Blackwood collar, 4.25" high, 3.5" in diameter. Finish is GENERAL'S WOODTURNERS FINISH! Transtint dye colors used: Bright Red, Blue, and Lemon Yellow.

I ain't perfect (Hey I was rusty! too busy building a shop around a lathe ) but I LOVE IT! (This is also the first piece photographed in my dedicated studio, I'm going to be trying some diffurnt things this is the first of those) Comment's and Critiques welcomed and appreciated as always... Bring it on!

IMG_2097 resize.jpg
    Last edited by Rick Markham; 07-04-2013 at 1:17 PM. Reason: format of picture :)
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

I love color, so this catches my eye.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

3. I see the formation of earth.....as the continents were coming forth, being separated from the seas...although the colors are earth tone.....not blue.......of course I lean toward intelligent design by our Creator.

This is a very nice work, Rick. I think your finish is first rate! good form with flowing curve and the collar is a nice touch.....well played!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thank you Michelle and Roger! I wish when the picture was converted to a JPEG that it didn't limit the color palate, there is quite a bit more variation in color, that is lost in the JPEG conversion.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Very nice form but spectacular coloring and finish. Would enjoy seeing it up close and personal especially if it shows off more color.

I like the form finish and the way the collar works with the piece. The way you used color is interesting, with different areas sharply demarcated. More views would be nice, as I enjoy looking at it and want to see more of it. I really like the way the figure shows through the dye and your excellent finish. Very well done, Rick!

Rick, the colors are vivid, the wood is pretty, the finish is glassy...what's not to like! I'd like to say that the curve is smooth the whole way, but honestly, I can't tell! The black piece that the HF is sitting on, while neat, is distracting for me. Also, like I said, it disturbs the flow of the HF's lines. I have a feeling the curve is quite continuous. I can't even tell if you tucked or not, though...
    I drink, therefore I am.

That is a truly beautiful piece Rick. What is your dying process?
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Dennis, you are as likely to get that out of Rick as you are to see Wally's beading tool...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Rick, this is spectacular! Just what we all expect from you. Thanks for sharing.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Mike, I agree with the turned base being somewhat distracting. I tried shooting this at an angle to catch the lip of the vessel, I think that is accentuating the base and adding a slight visual distortion (it's shot with a 60mm macro lens too). I will reshoot it at a more perpendicular angle, and repost it. (It's a no tuck)

Marc, I will take a few more shots of the rest of it. That's just my favorite view of it

Dennis, Over last summer my "voice" found me It's a process that I've been playing with based off of a theory I had regarding the physics of light (remember our perception of color is based off of the reflection of light); color theory, and the physics/physiology of the wood ( the medium) itself, in an attempt to create the illusion of a 3 dimensional surface based solely on the structure of the wood itself.. and it works! For now this is something I'm holding on to, but it will be shared with the woodworking community eventually. In the meantime I always welcome a good discussion on color though. My hope is by sharing my work that it leads someone to their voice too.
    Last edited by Rick Markham; 07-05-2013 at 11:26 AM.

I think this angle worked much better, here are some other views:

IMG_2098sawmillcreek.jpgIMG_2099sawmillcreek.jpgIMG_2100sawmillcreek.jpgIMG_2101sawmillcreek.jpg

That is beautiful Rick. I also like the high gloss. After building custom harleys with Ron Finch for 20 years, I am use to this level of gloss and finish. I am experimenting with House of Kolor two part epoxy clear then buffed and waxed.

Dennis, that's interesting that you mention the House of Kolor two part epoxy. I have been contemplating trying some PPG DC U 2000-2 Clear coat. I need to order some and give it a try! I'll be interested to see how the two part epoxy clear coat comes out. Woodturner's Finish is great stuff, but I would feel better with an automotive clear coat. I have a feeling it will outlast our traditional polys.

I.ve never used the PPG, but if it's like the HoK you can use it as a one part or two part. The first spraying I use just the first part (intercoat). That is very sandable. So I can wet sand down to 400 grit and get it like smooth like glass. Then I spray the two part (with hardener). That flows really nice then buff and wax.