Thread: Finished! Claro Walnut/Yellowheart Lidded form

Finished! Claro Walnut/Yellowheart Lidded form

This is the final version...........much hand sanding and a little refinement and a new finial on the lid that I cut down some to give a better curve up the finial. The finial is a little taller than the other one, and has a couple of additional features on it. While it is not perfect, I think for my first of this type it will pass muster! This is finished with General Finishes Woodturners Finish [WTF]

Also, I want to thank John Keeton for the inspiration for this..........even though it is not exactly as his sketch was.........I believe it to have most of the elements that were on his sketch he sent me a couple of years ago.......which I somehow lost, and this is just from my memory.......

Let me know what you think!

DSC_0048.JPGDSC_0050.JPGDSC_0052.JPGDSC_0053.JPG
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 07-05-2013 at 2:59 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

It turned out really well Roger. I like the finial much more now, it flows better. The finish has really revealed the nice work on the wings the edges look nice and soft. Now that you have the finish on it the yellowheart really compliments the yellow highlights in the Claro's Chatoyance! It really makes both elements pop (in perfect unison/harmony with each other.) The inside of the bowl is very nicely done, very clean work and a perfect hemispherical transition. Did you do any detail work on the interior of the lid?
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Markham View Post
    It turned out really well Roger. I like the finial much more now, it flows better. The finish has really revealed the nice work on the wings the edges look nice and soft. Now that you have the finish on it the yellowheart really compliments the yellow highlights in the Claro's Chatoyance! It really makes both elements pop (in perfect unison/harmony with each other.) The inside of the bowl is very nicely done, very clean work and a perfect hemispherical transition. Did you do any detail work on the interior of the lid?
    The lid has a large cove to mirror the dome shape on the inside.......I kept it simple because there is so much already going on with this piece that I felt it would over embellish the thing. I may go back and put a cubic zircon in the center just for a surprise.........still thinking on that one, however.

The finish already looks better now than in those pics I took just an hour or so ago........it is curing and the finish is getting a high gloss smooth shine........I don't know what it is about WTF, but it always looks better a day or so after a piece is cured out.

Thanks Rick!!!

Roger --- That is really a nice piece. Everything flows together well, love the finial. The colors look good together, better than I had imagined it. I think you have a winner here.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Roger, maybe my favorite piece of yours. While the finial looks a bit "heavy", I'm sure it is just that it isn't toothpick thin like we get used to seeing. I proportions of the finial look great, and well executed. I would have liked to see a smoother curve for the yellowheart, but all in all, again, probably my favorite piece that you've done.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman View Post
    Roger --- That is really a nice piece. Everything flows together well, love the finial. The colors look good together, better than I had imagined it. I think you have a winner here.

Dan

Thanks Dan........I think the colors are well suited for use together......very complimentary!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Roger, maybe my favorite piece of yours. While the finial looks a bit "heavy", I'm sure it is just that it isn't toothpick thin like we get used to seeing. I proportions of the finial look great, and well executed. I would have liked to see a smoother curve for the yellowheart, but all in all, again, probably my favorite piece that you've done.
    I can tell you Mike.....the pics make it look heavier than it is.........perhaps you will see it in person sometime and know what I mean. The added height vs. the first one makes it look bigger as well. I think the taller we go, the thinner it has to be to look right in the pics....something about the way the lens works and the angle I took the photos at, etc.

Thanks for commenting......appreciated!

We have a club meeting today.....so this and 5 other recent pieces are off to the show & tell table!

Back from the meeting.........we had a pyrography demo from Joyce Bean [a member of the Capital Area Woodturners] good demo! The 4 winged/footed lidded form was a hit!

This thing looks better in person than in the pics........I don't know why that is the case with some turnings, but it seems there is something about presence vs. a 2 dimensional picture.....at any rate this was well received by some very experienced turners from our club. Thanks to all of you who have commented.......much appreciation!

That's a neat looking piece Roger! Well done!

11. Quote Originally Posted by Steve Vaughan View Post
    That's a neat looking piece Roger! Well done!
    thank you Steve!