Thread: Source for shaper cutters?

Source for shaper cutters?

I've been searching for a decent lock miter shaper cutter, and prices run from $50 at Grizzly to $900 (on sale) for an adjustable unit from Amana. Many fall in the $300 price range, and with only about 150 feet of lock miter to run that seems to expensive. I generally buy Whiteside router bits but they don't make cutters. Although I have few Grizzly tools I'm not sure of their quality on items such as cutters and router bits. Opinions on the Grizzly or suggestions for a reliably good source?

We run a freud which I believe runs around 200 for 1 1/4" bore. If you dont run them every day I couldnt justify anything more than that. I would think it would last a dozen lifetimes in a shop that only runs lock miters occasionally.

If you dont expect to run them much, or ever again, I would get something on the lower end. I dont care for grizzly tools at all but I cant see how you couldnt get through a job with that shaper cutter.

For a short run, you may be happy with MLCS cutters. I've not been disappointed.

I have a number of Grizzly shaper cutters. They work well. Obviously, if you are are going to run production quantities, the more expensive cutters will probably out last the Griz or MLCS cutters. But as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. Usually anyway, sometimes all you get is an expensive name!

I have a large collection of Grizzly carbide shaper cutters that run on our G1026 3hp shaper. I don't do production, but they've always performed perfectly for me. The double lock miter cutter they sell now looks even more substantial than mine from the early 90's. For a 150 ft run, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try for $50.

David

I have Griz' lock miter cutter and have no complaints whatsoever. It cuts hickory, hard maple and jatoba among others as smooth as could be.

You didn't mention the bore but if its 3/4" Infinity has a pretty nice line of cutters that are reasonably priced, lock miter is around $80. Those I can recommend. I've had occasion to use a few grizzly cutters at work, they were sharp, reasonably well balanced, got us through a job, which was their purpose, something inexpensive to get through a single job. Carbide was thinner than most...not important on a short run. Bigger issue was the diameters were very small relative to similar cutters from others makers. Small diameter equals steeper exit angle and lower tip speed at same RPM's equals lower cut quality generally. But on a lock miter as long as they don't tear out the show side, not a big deal given al else is blind.

Oh, Garniga makes a real nice one....for about double the price of the Amana! Not cost effective on a short run.

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    I have a large collection of Grizzly carbide shaper cutters that run on our G1026 3hp shaper. I don't do production, but they've always performed perfectly for me. The double lock miter cutter they sell now looks even more substantial than mine from the early 90's. For a 150 ft run, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try for $50.

David
    definitely best bang for my buck

I have a bunch of the Roman Carbide shaper cutters from Shop Fox... I assume they are the same as Grizz..

I also have some Freud cutters and a Lietz cutter..

For 150 feet of anything.. I would buy the Grizzly / Woodstock shaper cutter. It will still be new when your done.. unless its some crazy wood ..

I have a Freud 1 1/4" bore LM cutter, works very well.

Does the spindle on your shaper tilt?

If it does you can use a Euro block head with a glue joint knife in it, about $25 for the knives...................Rod.

Look into Woodline, I have bought router bits and shaper cutter from them and have been happy with them.

Thanks to everybody for the good info and advice. After reading this and another thread on the Infinity lock miter I think that will be my choice. I wasn't impressed with their blades for the DeWalt 735 I used to own but I have been happy with the saw blades. I will check out the Woodline also, as I wasn't familiar with that brand.

Again, all the input is valued and appreciated.

I also have a Grizzly lock miter cutter of the 3/4" spindle variety. After spending an entire day getting my spindle perfectly perpendicular to the table on my shaper the Grizzly cutter has performed exquisitely ever since!

Now that I have a 7hp shaper I am anxious to try the 5 winged 1 1/4" bore Grizzly lock miter cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schuch View Post
    I also have a Grizzly lock miter cutter of the 3/4" spindle variety. After spending an entire day getting my spindle perfectly perpendicular to the table on my shaper the Grizzly cutter has performed exquisitely ever since!
    The freeborn online catalog has instructions for making the spindle measurement, and I agree, it's worth it to spend whatever time is necessary to get this exactly right, particularly for cutters where the parts fit together.